We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours in Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours in Dublin

A friend and I are considering a 'taster' day trip to Dublin from Stansted, using Ryanair, as they are offering such good rates at the moment. Is it worth it? What would we be able to see in 6 hours? Thanks in advance.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,154 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours in Dublin

Hard to say if it's worth it without knowing what the cost is. :)

Is it a guided tour? 6 hours from landing to taking off again, or 6 hours actually in the city?

London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours in Dublin

Thanks for replying. Landing at 7.45am, no luggage so I assume getting to Dublin city by 9.30 hopefully, then we can spend the day there and either take the return flight at 18.35 or later at 21.55. Cost is £59 for 2 people including taxes, fees, booking etc., so we think a real bargain day out.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours in Dublin

I would go for it but take the later flight. Even if you do a hop on hop off bus you will see a lot in a short time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours in Dublin

Thanks, the late flight would give us more time, a lot more than 6 hours in Dublin. Where would we pick up the hop on/hop off bus?

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours in Dublin

You can pick up either of the hop on/hop off buses at any of their stops. You can also buy your ticket from the bus driver.

Dublin Bus ( http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/ ) runs one of the HOHO tours and are known by the green buses. City Sightseeing ( www.city-sightseeing.com/index.phtml… ) runs the other and have the red buses. Both are roughly equivalent with a slight edge going to Dublin Bus (2/3 of their tours have live commentary and City Sightseeing is all pre-recorded).

Here's a link to the brochure for Dublin Bus HOHO with locations where you can pick it up on the bottom of page 2: www.dublinsightseeing.ie/pdf/tours_08.pdf

To get from Dublin Airport to City Centre, I recommend taking the Airlink service with Dublin Bus. It normally costs €10 return BUT since you'll be doing all your travel on one day, there's a bargain available for you. The 1 day rambler costs €6 and includes use of the Airlink bus service as well as all regular buses in the city: dublinbus.ie/en/…

Keith

Edited: 23 January 2011, 05:31
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hours in Dublin

oh definitely , go for it!!

It will be an experience, Dublin is a great city and just different!! lots to see and do, I would second the HOHO bus tour, may be worth buying a small Dublin guide book with a decent map in it before you go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hours in Dublin

Thanks for all your information. We will definitely be going for it and you have also helped with the transfer from airport to city centre!

8. Re: 6 hours in Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 07:22