We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin's Viking Adventure vs ?

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Dublin's Viking Adventure vs ?

Hello-- My family (15 y/o, 17 y/o, and 21 y/o) will be in Dublin for a long weekend at the beginning of March. We do want to learn about Irish History while we're there, and I'd appreciate input from Insiders and Travelers in planning our brief stay: "Dublin's Viking Adventure" on Essex Street, "Dublinia" at Christchurch Cathedral, or "The Dublin Experience" at Trinity College... we'll have time for just one of them.

Pros and Cons please???

Thank you!

Christ Church Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites
St. Audoen's Church
Churches & Cathedrals
The Chapel Royal
Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
St. Catherine's Church
Churches & Cathedrals
dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin's Viking Adventure vs ?

Hi Greenmountain, Dublinia has gotten a few bad reviews, the Viking Adventure is, as far as I can make out, just the tour of the city in the amphibious boat - it's great fun but not particularly educational, Id say.

I haven't heard about the Dublin Experience.

It might be nice to check out the National Museum at Collins Barracks - you can get the Luas there from the city centre cos it's a bit of a walk but there are some lovely exhibits and it's child-friendly..free entry too.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin's Viking Adventure vs ?

Hi -

I've been to two of the above - the Viking tour and Dublinia.

The Viking Tour was fun and while the guide covered some history I don't think it was a real strong point - the strong point is the fun to be had from such a novel form of transport. But then again I was with an eight year old and not looking for the same thing!

About Dublinia - it has been a few years (about 5 I think) but when I was there I thought it was pretty poor - maybe for grade school children but not a useful or inspiring exhibition for adults. Other posts may have different, perhaps more recent experiences, that would speak in its favour but I brought a US visitor and it was a disappointment all around.

The venue that I think gets the best out of a short historial tour is Kilmainham Gaol. The tour is excellent and there is a short audio-visual presentation as well (a little cheesy / sentimental as I recall). But I've brought a number of visitors here and it has been a hit. The tour covers the history of the prison and this obviously interacts with the history of crime, punishment, conflict and war in the city.

Hope this helps.

A

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin's Viking Adventure vs ?

Thanks for your replies, but I'm confused again... My guidebook lists "Viking Splash Tours" as the amphibious option. "Dublin's Viking Adventure" is something different???

FYI-- If you're in Boston, the amphibious tour, The Duck Tour, is fun!

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin's Viking Adventure vs ?

I'd say you'd like the Dublin Bus Ghost tour - there are plenty of posts on it on TA.

It seems to becoming more popular, so book early. Check out dublinbus.ie/your_journey/ghost_bus_tour.asp

It seems a little expensive, however I think it might be the only such bus tour in the world...