We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Airport Car Hire

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
swansea
Level Contributor
101 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin Airport Car Hire

Hi Guys, coming over to Ireland in August for the Il Divo concert, can anyone recommend the best and obviously the cheapest place to hire a car at Dublin airport for 2 days. thanks

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

The cheapest is not necessarily the best as you will find if you type Dublin car hire in the search box next to "dublin forums". I always find that the best deals when I travel to the UK are found at holidayautos.co.uk or arguscarhire. Make sure that the price given is all inclusive of extras such as airport charges etc so that there are no extras when you arrive. One extra that you can avoid for very little cost is the insurance to cover the excess on the cdw. This can be purchased separately to the car hire from insurance4carhire.com. That is, if you want to have it. Dublin car hire desks are notorious for trying to force tourists to buy this on arrival. It is a good idea to have it but it is much cheaper if purchased in advance from the above website.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

Just wanted to add a comment. One of the car hire firms I researched will charge a 25 euro administrative fee for the 'paperwork' associated with allowing a third party's insurance. Given that the insurance only costs 12-18 euro/day via the car hire firm, you may just want to purchase it directly when renting your car so as to avoid the administrative charge.

The admin charge may have been the policy of only one firm--I truly cannot recall at this point. Each firm handles the pricing differently. I rented from Hertz and although I could pre-pay the entire cost of the rental and basic CDW, I had to pay for the super or excess CDW premium at the airport. They had told me this when I phoned to book the car---it wasn't a surprise.

Dooley can quote all of the insurance via their web, but you need to be sure you check all of the boxes correctly. Some of the replies are counter-intuitive. You want to check Decline CDW--no, and Excess Waiver--yes. The former is automatically checked (default setting) but you need to select the latter.

Also, some firms charge a 28 euro airport pick-up surcharge. Nothing you can do about it, but just check all of the component costs before booking. A quick phone call answered all my questions in advance.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

NoreenKB

Your points are likely valid, but a little confusing if they are in response to mine. When I refer to insurance purchased from insurance4carehire to cover the excess on the CDW, this is optional insurance for all car hire. There should be no paperwork processing fee simply because if you have damage to the car which is not covered by the CDW, for example a 200 euro dent, the hirer simply pays the car hire company for this from his/jher credit card and then makes a separate claim with insurance4car hire for this amount. When I made a claim last year, the insurance company did add an 'administration fee' to collect money from me for a tiny dent which I had not noticed. The total amount was 120e for the dent and 30e admin fee. Insurance for car hire reimbursed me the full 150.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

Sorry Irishrover--did not mean to confuse. In an attempt to be more clear than I was last time, I went back in to the rental websites to confirm which one charges the administrative fee for the 'privilege' of electing to waive the car rental firm's own super/excess CDW. (In using the term super or excess CDW, I mean the 2000 euro carve-out that is not covered by the standard CDW.) I have posted the wording from Budget's site that pops up when you indicate that you intend decline the super CDW.

"Customers declining CDW and Theft Protection are required to pay a liability deposit of EUR €2,000. An administration fee of EUR €25.00 + VAT at 13.5% applies for use of this service."

I may be misinterpreting the application of this admin fee. They do not come out and state that if you provide another carrier's super CDW, they will charge you the 25 euro admin fee. I think I jumped to that conclusion because I read somewhere else (and can't recall where now) that a fee would be charged for use of a credit card company's CDW. I believe there is some sort of Global MasterCard (again, wrong name) that supposedly still provided coverage for the super CDW in Ireland, and I recall reading that an admin fee would be charged to the renter who elected to use the credit card company's protection.

I know that an admin fee for insurance seems crazy, but the 25 euro Dublin airport fee seems crazy also. Dublin city center pick-up also carried a 25 euro surcharge. I was curious where one had to go to pick up a rental car without incurring the surcharge!

So, if the 25 euro surcharge does apply to anyone using a third party to cover excess CDW, the savings offered by insurance4car hire would need to be significant in order to decline the rental firm's own coverage.

At the end of the day, I just purchased the rental car firm's super CDW as it only cost 12 euro/day and we only had the car for four days. I could have easily self-insured the 2000 euro carve-out; I carry a large deductible on both my home owner's and car insurance at home as the trade-off between premium and deductible is significant. As an American driving stick shift in Ireland once every few years, it was money well-spent. In other words, I didn't trust our driving enough to self-insure 2000 euros the way I would at home!

As an aside, there seemed to be a very different review process at the time of car pick-up and drop-off if the insurance has been purchased.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

Just wanted to post a warning about Budget at Dublin Airport.

We just returned after hiring through Auto Europe - our booking voucher clearly stated to return the car FULL regarding fuel. Which we did. However on our return we have realised that our Budget paperwork states return EMPTY and we were duely charged £27 even though we had just spent a similar amount at the pump fillng it up prior to returning it.

It was never pointed out to us to return it empty, in fact my wife swears she heard the clerk tell us to bring it back full, The wording on the Budget paperwork was actually obscured by the person on the desk stapling our VISA deposit receipt so it covered over it.

We have currently lodged an appeal with Auto Europe for the return of our money. So please be very careful not to assume that the details on your broker's paperwork is going to be the same as the car hire company !

Edited: 03 October 2011, 22:04
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

Yes, avoid budget at all costs - loads of surcharges conveniently hidden away in terms and conditions.

I'm currently pursuing via the Dublin Airport authority, and would recommend anyone who feels they have been conned to do the same.

msida-malta
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

As i have replied to Sissy above,

Right we are going to spend 4 night in Dublin in January .

So i was looking for the best rates for our Dublin Airport/Dublin City/Dublin Airport Transefers.

I got the best rates from Terry at declan@dublintaxitransfers.ie

www.dublintaxitransfers.ie/booking.html

So though shuttle bus is cheaper as we are arriving late at th evening and depart early morning we are going to use this firm for our tranfers ...Hope tht after my expitiance with this firm i will be able to come foward with my report about this transfers trips .... Anthony - Malta

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

USA residents when renting a car at Dublin Airport should be extra careful not to rent from the AER LINGUS web site. They show Hertz having a special 25% off. NOT TRUE! What happens is if you book showing you are from Ireland which is the default listing you get a much lower rate which includes collision damage waiver and theft protection but you need an Ireland credit card billing address.

But when you go to the upper left hand corner of the Aer Lingus site and select USA from the list and book the same dates and car and it comes up about the same in US Dollars but does not include the Collision damage waiver or Theft protection which also has a 1200 euro deductiable. End result this so called special rate cost you about $150.00-$200 more than if you went to the Hertz web site and booked an all inclusive rate. Also, you want to book and pay in EUROS because if you pay in dollars Hertz will convert at their high converation rate and it will cost you a another $30.00 or so.

DaN Dooleys is about the same price as Hertz all inclusive but they charge you for a full tank of gas and tell you to bring it back empty. How do you do that (you can't) and sometimes it isn't quite full when you pick it up . So add another $50.00 or so to get the true cost of the rental with gas at $8.50 plus per gallon in Ireland.

Never buy the super damage waiver insurance (which is additional coverage for most of the 1200 euro deductible (almost $2000 US) after paying for the all inclusive collision damage and theft protection. Rental companies try hard to sell you the super damage waiver which you can only buy once you get to the airport.

Buy a policy before leaving the United States from an Ireland or UK private insurer that costs half as much as the car rental company will charge you and the private insurer covers undercarriage, hupcap damage, and windows damage. Just goggle UK or Ireland car rental excess waiver insurance to find a couple of private insurers that will cover you for the 1200 Euro deductible should you have damage to the rental car. I buy an inclusive rate from either Dan Dooleys or Hertz which are the cheapest car companies at Dublin Airport which covers taxes airport fees theft and collision damage but just remember there is still a deductible even after paying for the collision and theft insurance. AND often the super waiver coverage they offer in addition to all of the other insurance you already bought if you went with the exclusive rate offered by Dooleys or Hertz generally does not cover hupcaps, undercarriage damage , or windshields.

Don't book a car rental on Expedia or Orbitz or any other special car rental site as they show extremely low rates but do not include the mandatory Theft or Collision damage insurance or some of the airport charges and special taxes. You will wind up paying a lot more if you do. So for 8 days I would pay $225.00 with Dooleys or $223.00 with Hertz which is inclusive except for the deductible, which varies depending on what size car you get, and gas. It will cost another $60.00 or $70.00 to buy a private insurer policy which covers you for a year. The car rental company will still take any damage from your credit card but the private insure will pay you back. Car rentall companies will also tell you they don't accept third party insurers. It doesn't matter as the the private insurer will reimburse you directly for any charges the rental companies sticks you with. Since we are going to Scotland as well for a week both rentals will be covered for the deductible. Here in th eUS most credit cards cover your rental but you will find in Ireland they won't accept the credit card for insurance coverage, even a world mastercard, and world mastercard if you call them will tell you NOT COVERED IN IRELAND thank you. Plus even if you can find a rental company that will accept a world mastercard for insurance coverage they put such a large hold on your card you will probably exceed the cards limit and won't be able to use it for hotels and such. Be sure to check your rental over very closely and take pictures of any scratches or damage to hub caps windows, undercarriage. BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE LOT AND HAVE THE CAR RENTAL COMPANY REP. INITIAL THAT THEY SAW THE DAMAGE

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
24 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

thank you for your information. I am going to be in Ireland in October and your information is very helpful. Can you let me know who did you buy the excess waiver insurance from online? I am also living in the USA.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
24 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

Another question, should I decline CDW and get the excess waiver insurance online? Your help is much appreciated.

Connie