We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Help with areas to see please

I will be taking my first trip to Ireland in July with my sister. We will not be renting a car and will be relying on public transportation. We will arrive in Dublin and staying there for 3 nights before moving on to Castle Leslie then Galway then back to Dublin before we fly home. I am hoping to see Dublin in a day leaving me two days to either take a day tour of Newgrange or Giants Causeway. I would also like to see Cork and Waterford. So my question is Do I take a day trip to a historical site or do I take a train to a different city and spend my day there exploring? I know it is hard to answer which would be better to see but any help would be appreciated since I don't have the time to do them all. Thank you to anyone that can give me an opinion.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with areas to see please

I don't think you have time to see Cork or Waterford considering what you already have planned. Especially as day trips from Dublin. (If I'm reading things correctly?)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with areas to see please

Thank you. I just read the trip time from Dublin to Waterford showing about 3 hours each way. That would not leave a lot of time to see the City with 6 hours travel time.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,150 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with areas to see please

Have you found any companies that offer day tours of the Giant's Causeway from Dublin? If so, that would make for a VERY long day. We did this trip from Belfast and it was a full day just from there.

I think the two best day trips from Dublin are Newgrange and Glendalough. They are both interesting places and close to Dublin so you don't spend all day riding a bus.

Edited: 11 May 2011, 20:15
4. Re: Help with areas to see please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 19:06
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with areas to see please

Giants Causeway way too far.Glendalough and New Grange highly recommended.

6. Re: Help with areas to see please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 07:18