We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Avondale, Arizona
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

I arrive at the Dublin airport at 0520 Monday and depart Connolly station at 0935. So I have 4 hours and 15 minutes to kill. Please tell me what I should do to make the most of my short stay. I'm thinking I will likely need to eat some breakfast and have some Guinness. So do I eat at the airport or perhaps near Connolly station? Can you get a Guinness that early in the morning?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

The area around Connolly does not come alive until about 7.30-8.00 in terms of places to eat, so you might be better eating at the airport when you arrive.

Pubs do not open until mid-morning though there are some "early houses" as they are known - pubs that open about 7 or 7.30 am - in the city centre. However, the few that I can think of are generally located near the markets area and not near Connolly. I cannot think of any that are near Connolly, though maybe some other poster might come up with suggestions.

Assuming that you have luggage, I'd head downtown after breakfast at the airport, go to the Busaras (central bus station) beside Connolly, leave your luggage there (there are no left luggage facilities at Connolly, as far as I know) and maybe explore the city centre before heading back to Connolly to get your train. You might just come across a bar that is open, though I doubt it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

Across the road from Connolly and down Talbot St is an early house called Molloys, not sure I would be dead keen on visiting it though, early houses tend to be really depressing!

Do as suggested and leave your baggage at Bus Aras and then take the Luas into Abbey St (or walk) O'Connell St is nice at this time of day. Lots of breakfast options from about 8am.

I think the bar in Connolly Station opens early so you could have a pint of Guinness there before you get on your train.

There is no need to stay in the area around Connolly, in fact I would suggest against it.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

Hi there,

Close to Connolly on Burgh Quay ( across the river) is the White Horse Inn, an early house. Also the Windjammer on Townsend St, which has a more "native " population. B

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

The White Horse Inn recently changed hands and is now called The Dark Horse!!! Very imaginative new owners!!! I think it's lost it's early licence as I never see it open any more but I couldn't vouch for that! The Wind Jammer on the other hand is definitely still serving in the mornings, I passed it this morning myself, definitely a local bar!

I think the main cluster of early houses is on Capel St, but I'd just advise waiting for main opening hours and enjoying a pint in a nice bar!

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

I don't think you need to go to Busaras bus station as there are luggage lockers in Connolly station in the main concourse close to the toilets. Perhaps someone else could confirm they are still there

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

Lockers were installed in Connolly after it was rebuilt several years ago, but I thought that they had been subsequently removed? The Irish Rail website says that they don't have lockers at Connolly but I recognise that this information may not be correct. I should know the answer as I use the station fairly frequently but I cannot recall seeing them.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

Domhall the lockers I am referring to are new and only installed within the last year beside the new toilet facilities. I have not been in the station for a while but will check next time I am there

8. Re: Where to eat, what to see & do near Connolly station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 04:19