We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days in Dublin?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
244 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days in Dublin?

My husband and I are contemplating a trip to Dublin the last week of April/first week of May next year.

We are in our mid 30s, no kids, enjoy site seeing, learning about towns, trying new foods, and just sitting down at little cafes watching the world go by.

Would 9 days be good in Dublin, or might it be best to stay a few days and then move onto a new city.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

Even if you are a fan of cities, 9 days is probably too much time in Dublin given the amount of other locations to see in Ireland. I'd suggest that 3-4 days is enough for Dublin. This would leave you with 5-6 to explore elsewhere - you could take day trips or a mixture of day and overnight trips from Dublin to other parts of the country - or you could relocate to another one or two locations during the time remaining to you.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

I have done it both ways: last year I spent 12 days in Dublin, but took organized day trips on five of the days. On a previous visit I spent two days in Dublin and then drove the rest of the country.

Your best bet might be to spend 3-4 days in Dublin, then choose a couple of other cities to use as bases for touring other areas. Galway and Kilarney, or Cork, make good base cities. I think you will want at least three days in Dublin to see the main sights.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

Yeah 3-4 days in Dublin would be grand.As you have 9 days in total you have ample chance to get out and see a bit of the country too.I'd agree with previous poster in recommending Galway and Killarney.Both are undeniably touristy (though only mildly so at that time of year) but both are also undeniably lovely.

If you were to travel this way then it would make sense to fly into Dublin and home from Shannon.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

While I'm huge fan of Dublin, and could easily spend 9 days there, I have to agree with all the other posters. Spend 3-4 days in Dublin and pick a couple other sites in Ireland. Personally, I'd suggest Galway plus one other...Cork? Kilkenny? Killarney? Dingle?

Keith

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
514 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

9 days in Dublin is more than enough to drive anyone insane. Spend 2-3-4 days there and head south.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
244 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

Thanks everyone. I'll start looking at some of the towns you all mentioned.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

9 days is definitely more than enough. The town is very compact and unless you are going to spend a lot of time shopping, dining and boozing, you'd get bored.

8. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 09:05
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

Wagger, I'd love to hear which organized tours you took and whether you'd recommend them.

10. Re: 9 Days in Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 00:16