We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to US via Canada

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Flight to US via Canada

Hi there,

Been reading horror stories about flying from Dublin to the US and needing to go through customs, and needing 3-4 hours to get through.

We've got a 10am flight to LA, connecting in Toronto on Friday. Would the same customs issues apply? Same 3-4 hours?

It's our first time through customs returning home, so any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to US via Canada

Toronto has a US pre-clearance arrangement a bit like Dublin. It is a bit silly because even if you are going to the US you have to go through Canadian customs and immigration to reach the US customs and immigration! I was there a couple of years ago and it was complete chaos for the US formalities, but they were pulling people out of line for flights. It may not always be like this, of course.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to US via Canada

Just curious, which airline flies direct from DUB to Toronto? Air Canada flies via Heathrow.

Re your question - I don't think Canadian customs has a pre-clearance setup at DUB, so hopefully it won't be too crazy for you. Just check the airline's website to see their recommended check-in time.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to US via Canada

Air Canada flies direct Dublin -Toronto. It's a seasonal (summer-only) service, as far as I'm aware. Also, only the US has immigration and customs pre-clearance in DUB. There is no Canadian equivalent in DUB.

If you are travelling to LA via Toronto, you will not clear US customs and immigration in DUB. This process will probably happen on arrival in LA. You may be subject to some checks by Canadian authorities on transiting at Toronto but I am unaware of the extent of same (if any).

I also recall that some Canadian airports have US pre-clearance facilities but I don't know if they are located at Toronto and if they are available to transit passengers.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to US via Canada

In summary, there is no immigration in Dublin. It all takes place in Toronto, where you will pass through Canadian and probably US immigration. So you might get away with checking in half an hour later in Dublin. However Dublin airport is very busy in the mornings, so don't cut it too fine.

Edited: 14 July 2011, 12:01
5. Re: Flight to US via Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 09:17