We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Hello all

We fly into Dublin airport Thursday 29th September, arriving around 9.30am. We will be staying 2 weeks and we will be picking up a car, but have been told by several people to avoid driving in Dublin

I had initially thought we would grab the car and head away from Dublin, with a long drive to Kenmare or thereabouts, but now I think we can visit Dublin first, rather than last.

Can you please make some recommendations for a place to stay for 2 nights that is close enough to Dublin of us to easily catch a train or bus into the city and pretty or interesting enough in it's own right.

By the way, 'we' is me and my husband, we are 50, I'm Australian, he's a New Zealander, I like photography and nice food, he loves Guinness, good food and rugby. He will be happy to find himself in a great pub when he's had enough of .

talking too many photos!

Many thanks

Denise

Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Oops - there is a typo and I am not sure how to make corrections to these posts.

The last sentence should read

He will be happy to find himself in a great pub when he's had enough of me

taking too many photos!

Suggestions for a places to stay please

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

The Burlington has ample parking.

He need walk no further than five minutes to O'Briens on Sussex Terrace for a good pint.

www.burlingtonhotel.ie

www.m-obriens.ie

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Malahide is a seaside village/suburb just north of Dublin and easily accessible by taxi from the airport. It has a good range of pubs and places to eat. It also has a direct link to the city centre by DART (rail). Trip takes about 20-30 minutes (depending on service taken).

Grand Hotel in Malahide is a good option for a place to stay - near pubs etc. and within walking distance of the rail station.

However, you could readily stay in the city centre. It's only about 8 miles from the airport and is easily accessible by taxi and bus.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

G'day Denise. I've suggested the Red Cow area in the attached link.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k47…

You can get a bus @ 5 euro - Dublin Coach - from the airport to the ibis hotel. There's a Luas (tram) stop very close, 30 minutes to the city centre. You can, or he can, get the Dublin Coach back to the airport to pick up a car if need be for the rest of the trip.

Red Cow Moran's Hotel - tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g186605-d212…

The Luas (tram) - www.luas.ie

There's a lengthy chat on this very subject here - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k35…

=]

dublin
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Malahide is a lovely village and worth a day trip , but when you mention photography it has to be Howth , beautiful fishing village/town with great hill and coastal walks , has it's own ( haunted) castle and golf course ,great selection of pubs and restaurants ,and a direct rail service to Dublin , you can take the rail to Malahide by changing at Howth junction a stop half way to the city and there is some good photo opportunities there as well including Malahide castle another must for the camera , As you will have a car visit the rose garden in St Annes park in Raheny about 2 miles from Howth on the Dublin rd near Clontarf . I will leave it to others to recommend accommodation as I live near here. While you are in Dublin consider a day trip to Newgrange tumulus an hours drive , Have a great trip and happy shooting .

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Personally, I would avoid the Red Cow area as it is very industrial. Howth would be my first preference followed by Malahide

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

I'm assuming in my earlier post that you won't have a car while in Dublin. I agreed with the others that Howth is a lovely place to visit but I think that Malahide scores better in terms of accommodation, with the Grand Hotel in such easy walking distance of the centre of the village.

IMHO, Red Cow is not a particularly nice area, as already mentioned and though the Burlington is quite close to the city centre, it's not particularly convenient to the airport - it's just south of the centre whereas the airport is 8 miles north.

Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Hello all, thank you for your advice. Interested unknowing if this changes your things?

We will have a car, but were told that it was best not to drive in Dublin,

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,981 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Come on in.

I gave my previous advice on the basis that you would have a car.

Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Close to Dublin, but not in the city

Thanks lordkimmage.

I did look at the Burlington website yesterday, checked out the roads and noted your comment on parking. Can you tell me if there is a 'peak hour' period on the roads I use to head out of the city when we leave. ( Can't say exactly where we will be going, but toward Kenmare). If so, roughly what time is best avoided?