We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

Hello,

We are going to Dublin for 3 days and want to stay in a modern hotel.

The above 2 seem like they fit the description and budget but was wondering if one was a better location then the other. Both look like they are somewhat out of the way but not a bad walk to city center.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

Personally I would opt for The Gibson, it's a newer and slightly more modern hotel. It is also linked with the city centre by a 10 minute Luas (tram) ride. The walk from The Gibson to the city centre will only take about 20 minutes, it's along the river so more pleasant and, in my opinion, safer than the walk from Croke Park to the city centre. I think your choices of restaurants is greater in the area around The Gibson than The Croke Park Hotel, though to be honest neither area has an abundance of eateries when compared with the city centre.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

I have not stayed in either of the hotels, and therefore cannot comment on their facilities, but I would agree with Lollymcd's opinion, as to which location to opt for.

The area from the Gibson up towards the city centre was regenerated during our celtic tiger years, and therefore more modern. Also, I don't think there is any public bus links between the Croke Park hotel and the city centre - it would entail walking/taxi, which would be fine during the day, but you might feel a bit uncomfortable, if walking to/from it at night

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

Of those two I would pick the Gibson, Also out in the sticks at a slightly higher price, but in a better area are the D4, the Burlington and the Mespil.

Buswells is a good city centre hotel.

www.travelrepublic.co.uk

New York City, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

Thanks very much.

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

I'd advise the Gibson also, I've stayed there and really liked it. It is 10 minutes on the Luas as Lolly said but the Luas terminus is right outside the Gibson door so there is usually a tram say there waiting to start off on it's next run so you can get on and just wait for it to go, so it's very handy. There is also a market in the square outside the Gibson at weekends, though I believe that it doesn't run during the winter months.

Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

I've stayed in both - Gibson definitely your better option. The Croke Park is a decent hotel as well but it's in a fairly dismal area of Dublin.

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

we just got back from ireland and bookened our trip with nights at the croke park. we loved it. it is about a 10 min walk to the city which was nothing for us, or a 7euro cab ride. the hotel was beautiful, the rooms clean and spacious and the buffet breakfast we had included was enormous. they are included in the hop on hop off tour and the bus stops there periodically throughout the day.

parking is free and what is nice is that the hotel is just enough out of the city centre that you feel comfortable driving to it on your first day with a car.

8. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2011, 11:05
9. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2011, 11:05
10. Re: Croak Park Hotel or Gibson Hotel

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 05:17