We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

Lincoln
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

Just a quick Question as would like to take my BF to Dublin as a surprise, but he doesn;t have a passport.

Dublin
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

Check with the airline. I know with Ryanair and some of those you can travel with photo id such as a drivers licence.

GLASGOW
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

Yes definately check this with your chosen airline. I am fairly sure that they no longer even accept photographic id such as drivers licence's.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

Annie, if you are going by ferry there is no problem. Otherwise check with the airlines.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

There is no legal requirement for you to have a passport although all major airlines insist on ID.

The only acceptable IDs are driving license and passport.

Dublin
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

The airlines may not have a problem, but what about when you try to pass by the lads sitting at immigration?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

Boris,

There has been a long-standing arrangement that Irish and British Citizens can travel freely in the British Isles without producing passports.

The Schengen Agreement, which became effective in March 1995 allowed a similar situation between signatories of the treaty.

Because Britain decided not to sign up to Schengen, the Irish government decided it was easier not to sign as well. Had Ireland signed, Irish citizens would have had to produce passports entering Britain but would not have had to produce passports entering most of mainland Europe. British citizens entering Ireland would have had to produce passports too.

As it is, Irish and British citizens must produce passports entering Europe but not each other's countries. Citizens from all other countries must produce passports entering Ireland and Britain.

Has this answered your question or gone on an unnecessary tangent? !!!

doncaster
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

is a photo bus pass valid thats all i have

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

I'm flying with Ryanair with my mum and she foesn't have a passport or photo driving licence. I phoned them to ask if buss pass and birth certificate would be enough and they said no so she's going to have to get a passport.

We flew with them a couple of years ago too with only the abouve as ID but I guess they have tightened up. Not going to chance it!

doncaster
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

cheers

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you need a passport to travel from UK to Dublin?

Annie, just looked at Ryanair website. Says between Eire and UK you need a passport OR a current driver's license OR a gov't id card. Check their website under terms and conditions. They are also very strict about sticking to the rules.