We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin flooded?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin flooded?

just been made aware that a lot of rain fell on the East coast this morning hop everyone is ok.

irishweatheronline.com/news/…42933.html

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin flooded?

It seems to be becoming an annual occurance, so why don't the authorities build proper flood defences and improve the drainage. Insurance companies will no longer insure homes against flood damage. I suppose that it might help if the city and county councils unbloked the existing drains throughout the country.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin flooded?

We apparently had the average monthly rain for October in a single day yesterday. Sadly two people have died in flood related incidents and travel yesterday evening was problematic due to severe flooding in some parts of the city making roads impassible and causing delays and cancellations in public transport systems. The airport was also closed for a period.

There was further rain for a period this morning but true to this country's repuation for variable weather, it's now sunny and quite pleasant - assuming you ignore that water still lying on the ground and the damage caused to property by the floods. Traffic appears to be getting back to normal albeit with some local problems persisting.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin flooded?

One of the worst days weatherwise I have ever witnessed in Dublin.....thankfully I was laid up in bed with a chest infection and did not have to head out in to the weather and that awful traffic.

Kilmainham has been hit very badly and we encountered floating cars on nearby roads early this morning.............wouldn't like to have been holidaying here yesterday!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin flooded?

It was one of the worst days of weather I've ever seen. Many of my friends had houses flooded, homes lost. It was very sad to see two people lost their lives.

As is typical of Irish weather, the sun is now splitting the trees and it is a beautiful afternoon.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin flooded?

Absolutely dreadful. It never stopped raining since Friday night. The gales on Saturday night into Sunday morning had me seriously worried about the trees in the back garden. They warned us about Hurricane Katia about two months ago. Well, Saturday night/Sunday morning was much worse than the tailend of Katia.

No flooding here since the flood defences were built on the Rye. But I did think last night that we could build a jacuzzie in the back garden without planning permission.

Very sunny here as well at the moment.

Very sad about the loss of life in Wicklow and Dublin. That really is terrible news.

C

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin flooded?

I feel for those affected by this. I saw this on the weather forecast before I came home and it did look bad when they forecasted it, and seen it on the news earlier today and how it had hit and it's shocking!

I was over in Ireland last week (as you probaly guessed and the week before and there was a lot of rain during that time and the rivers seemed high in my opinion than and fiece and there was flooding in the fields in the north west.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin flooded?

The loss of lives is so tragic and my heart also goes out to the people whose homes have been destroyed by the floods.

When it happened here in Ennis two years ago, I remember the devastation and people being out of their homes for months.

Keep safe everyone

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin flooded?

This was extremely unusual weather for October in Dublin. Such rain is more usual in June or August when the remains of tropical storms show up. There has been 5 times as much rain in Dublin as last October and more than twice the average, and a few days to go yet.

But the weather has been untypical in various ways in the last year, from the record snows of December to the rather odd cool but dry July.

Dublin
Level Contributor
994 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin flooded?

Beautiful, calm sunny day today. I might even get out in to the garden.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
121 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin flooded?

This was too much of a rain even for Ireland. My heart goes out to those who lost their homes or family members.