We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

Hello all. I will be in Dublin from December 3-6. I was wondering if it'd be possible to take a day trip from Dublin to Castlebar in County Mayo. It's where my family emigrated from so it'd be nice to go back there for a day, if it all possible. If not, maybe someone can recommend a nice small town or village to take a day trip to? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

It takes just over 3 hours to get to Castlebar by train. irishrail.ie/your_journey/…2011.pdf

If you left early and came back late it would be doable. There are buses which do the same journey which would be cheaper but will take to long.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

IMO Castlebar is too far away for a day trip. I'd recommend going to Glendalough in neighbouring county Wicklow.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,173 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

Possible, but maybe not too practical, esp as days will be so short.Maybe next time?

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

Lots of info on my home town here. www.castlebar.ie

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

Perhaps you just want to go to Castlebar so that you can tell the folks back home that you visited the place where your ancestors emigrated from?

Apart from that, I wouldn't be recommending doing that journey unless you can meet up with family. Castlebar always strikes me as a place on the way to somewhere else, like Westport or Achill Island.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

If this is something you really want to do rather than telling "the folks back home that you visited the place where your ancestors emigrated from" then why not take an early train to Castlebar and stay the night there and return to Dublin the next day? You could do a little research on your family tree in advance and talk to a few people in Castlebar. You will find that Irish people are very accommodating and welcoming in this regard. I have travelled the world and have not encountered frendlier people towards tourists than the Irish. Worst case scenario you get to see a typical Irish town in the West of Ireland. Dublin is a large cosmopolitan city (one of several to be found in Europe) and seeing it only does not give you a very full picture of Ireland. It might be a shame to come to Ireland and not stand on the ground that your ancestors once stood on....food for thought.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

Hi, I also have roots (& relatives) in Castlebar, I do know what it's like to want to go where your ancestors came from - even if there's not much to see.

NiceIrlande has a good suggestion about staying the night out there. Alternatively, you can spend the night in Westport, which is a 10-min. bus ride from Castlebar. The next day, you can take the train back to Dublin, from Westport.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

I agree with trintraveller, Westport is pleasant and lively would make for an interesting two day journey.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

I enjoyed the Museum of Country life on route to Westport, well worth a visit :) I had a couple of hours in Westport before heading to the quay and than heading towards the beach that begins with C that I can't remember it was called.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Castlebar - Possible?

Bertra Beach is just past the quay.