We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

city bus tours

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
city bus tours

Can anyone tell me if there are city bus tours operating through Dec ? We are due to visit Dublin on 17th till 20th and have been advised by our travel company that they are not running . If they ARE running ...what is the best way of booking them ? Do you pay there or buy one of the passes I have read about ? Also ...we booked this as they advertised a BIG Xmas market at the docks...can you help ? Is it on ? There seems to be a lot on offer and I am overwhelmed at knowing where to start and how best to approach it all .(We are at the Mespil Hotel ) Thanks in advance !

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: city bus tours

HoHo buses run year round Dublin city city tour w/ 24 stops. We used the red bus, which did have live guide for narration. For Nov-Feb starts @ 9:30 am and ends at 4:15pm. Many hotel collection points (the brochure I have from Oct 2011 says "The Mespil hotel @ 9:10am") There are also combination tours for the city and Belfast and/or Wicklow. City tour fare ~$15, can also be used as discount for some venues ie Dublin Zoo. No tours 12/24+25. Great way to tour the city see many attractions.

www.dublinsightseeing.ie/DayCityTours for more info. Have a great trip

Edited: 03 December 2011, 13:53
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: city bus tours

Definitely a HoHo bus tour would give you a good flavour of the city.

There are a couple of HoHo tour companies in Dublin. If possible, try and get on the HoHo buses that have live commentaries, rather than those with a pre-recorded multi-lingual commentary - I think you will enjoy the tour so much more.

The green buses (Dublin Bus) provide live commentary. 2/3 of their buses are live and are clearly marked. The other 1/3 are pre-recorded and are marked as multi-lingual. If in doubt, just ask the bus driver whether its a live or pre-recorded commentary. The green buses are not running 22-27 Dec, according to their website - http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/index.aspx

I don't know how many of the red HoHo buses (City Sightseeing) are live commentary. But again, if in doubt, just ask the bus driver whether its a live or pre-recorded commentary. During December and January, the redbuses only travel on Fri, Sat, Sun, so that would fit in with your dates - http://www.irishcitytours.com/index.php

You can pay the driver as you board the bus, and given the time of year that it will be - weather wise, it might be better to pay on the day of your choosing, rather than pre-book and therefore be committed to going on the tour, when the weather might not be so good.

Here's links that may be of help to you -

http://www.dublindocklands.ie/events

http://www.dublin.ie/disp_list.aspx?catid=118

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: city bus tours

Thank you SO much for your helpful replies !

Re the buses and the Freedom

Pass... Can you tell me please , if the Freedom Pass is a "Pass" for the HO HO buses , and airport shuttle etc, or are the prices for these services simply discounted (if you buy the Freedom Pass )?

We will need to get from the airport to the Mespil Hotel so wondered if we were to buy a Freedom Pass...would we simply be able to jump on one of the Green buses at the airport and be taken to the hotel ?

Also is The Brazen Head eve of Irish Folklore etc as good as everyone is saying !? It certainly LOOKS good !

And lastly...is the Freedom Pass able to be used on general transport at all times of the day in and around the city ?

Oh dear I DO get myself tangled up with questions at times...all help appreciated !

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: city bus tours

This is the information on the Dublin Bus website, re the Freedom Pass

"The 3 Day Freedom ticket is the one ticket you will need for all your Dublin sightseeing. You can pace your travel over 3 days (72 hrs) and take time to enjoy the city's unique atmosphere.

With the 3 Day Freedom ticket, you will also get discounts on entry fees at many popular visitor attractions, so it offers excellent value for your visit. Just validate your ticket on each bus and enjoy the complete freedom of the city. Please collect your discount map and guide from the driver when boarding the Dublin Bus Tour.

The 3 Day Freedom ticket is valid for 3 days (72 hrs) on the following:

Dublin Bus City Tour - hop on hop off at any stop

All commuter services (scheduled bus routes)

Airlink - City Centre Airport express

Price - Buy Now

Adult €26.00 Child €10.00 (u 14yrs)"

My reading of the above is that It seems to be valid for 72 hours, from first validation, rather than 3 calendar days. However, 72 hours might not fully cover your time in Dublin, but that might depend on your arrival and departure times.

It covers usage of the Airlink747 bus from Dublin airport to city centre, their HoHo bus(the green HoHo's), as well as all Dublin city commuter bus services. It does not cover the DART(commuter trains) service.

However, the Airlink747 will only take you into the city centre, I think you would get off around College Green/Trinity College(confirm with the driver, when you are boarding at the airport), and from there you would have to get another bus(38, 38A - I think, but again check with the driver), to the Mespil Hotel. However, there is no bus that will actually pass the hotel itself, but here are directions from the hotel's website -

"Disembark at Upper Baggot Street, Mespil Road junction (ask the driver to tell you when you are there). Walk back to the junction at Baggot Street Bridge and cross the street. Walk up Mespil Road(the canal will be on your right) and the Mespil Hotel is located 150 metres on the left." This is only a 5 minute, easy walk.

If your Freedom Pass has expired by the time you are returning to Dublin Airport, you could get the Aircoach service(this is not operated by Dublin Bus) - €8 per adult - which runs close by the Mespil Hotel - they would be able to give you more details

Can't tell you anything about The Brazen Head

Edited: 03 December 2011, 23:06
Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: city bus tours

Good grief ! YOU are a STAR !!!!! What an amazing load of fab advice !

You should get a job with the Dublin Tourist Board !

So basically ....once I have paid for the Freedom Pass I can use the services you have listed without dipping into my purse ?

(sorry to appear dim ...just want to get it right !)

Thanks again so much !

You really have been great !

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: city bus tours

You ask - "So basically ....once I have paid for the Freedom Pass I can use the services you have listed without dipping into my purse ?"

All I can say to you is, that is my understanding from reading the information on the Dublin bus website.

By the way, according to their website, you can buy the tickets at their information desk, and the Dublin Tourism desk in Dublin airport, but I can't tell you anymore than that. You can also buy online, via Ticketmaster, who I expect will have their 'administration charges' to add on also, and these would be posted to you - so, if you are using this method of purchase, you would need to allow sufficient time to get them, especially with the Christmas post rush

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: city bus tours

Hi Eliza26 - a follow up to my reply of yesterday, 4th Dec.

I contacted Dublin Bus today. They confirm that the Freedom Pass is valid for 72 hours from the time of first validation. They also confirmed that there is a ticket machine at Dublin airport arrivals, where you can buy the ticket.

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: city bus tours

Thank you SO much !!! What a lot of trouble you have gone to ! You deserve to have lots of nice things happen to you (if they havent already !)

Thank you again ! I think I understand it all now !

I also found out that the Xmas markets are on the Ho Ho route !

Still cant decide what to do re The Brazen Head !

Thanks again !

You really are a star !

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: city bus tours

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy your visit to Dublin.

As regards the Brazen Head, seeing as no one has responded to that question yet, why not put it up as a separate thread now, with the header "The Brazen Head", and that might attract replies for you

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: city bus tours

Brazen Head Pub is a very enjoyable venue. Johnny Daly is an accomplished storyteller; you'll be enchanted. Best to check for time of evening entertainment www.irishfolktours.com.