We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting ireland

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
visiting ireland

My husband, 17 yr old dgt and I are planning a trip to Ireland this summer....can anyone tell us is it better to go with a group tour, or explore on one's own.../??

Many thanks,

Roxanne

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting ireland

My absolute preferance would be to go it on your own.

I just like the independence of doing it myself.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting ireland

I think your 17 year old would prefer a more personalised and less organised trip. The general demographic on group tours I've seen is more middle aged than teenage.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting ireland

I agree it would be much better to do your own thing, especially with a 17 year old in tow!

If it is possible for you to hire a car, then this would probably be your best option.

NJ
Level Contributor
659 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting ireland

It depends. Are you good at touring? Do you want to drive on the wrong side of the road?

On our 1st trip -- we did a few days on our own; then we took a tour. There were families & kids on our tour.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting ireland

Having toured Ireland with a 17-year-old, I'll agree that a self-drive tour is probably best. My 17-y.o. would have absolutely hated being shuttled around with a bunch of strangers on a tour bus.

ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting ireland

Can you tell me the name of the tour....if you liked it...

Many thanks,

Roxanne

7. Re: visiting ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:19