We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us make the right plans!!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Help us make the right plans!!

We are staying in Dublin March 2- l0. Then, we are off to wherever our hearts desire until the l3th. So...we need help. We want to see:

Cork, the market and the Blarney Castle

Wicklow

Dingle Peninsula

New Grange

Galway

Clifs of Moher

Houth area

At this point we are thinking of letting Cork be a day trip from our place in Dublin.

No car rental, we wrecked when we were in London last year! I would so appreciate advice on how to order this trip and if we've neglected something wonderful. We leave from Dublin on the morning of the 14th.

Thanks to everyone for their helpl

Wendy

Thanks to

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

Are you flying out of Dublin on 13th? If so this gives you two nights outside the capital. Your list is not doable. You can do Newgrange, Howth, Cork and/or Galway as day trips from Dublin. You might do the Cliffs of Moher, if you spent a couple of nights in Galway.

The Dingle Peninsula is not really feasible, given just 2 days and no car

Edited: 11 February 2012, 03:18
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

Newgrange, Wicklow and Houth Area (if you mean Howth) are all easily visited from Dublin. Check for day trips.

Cork, Dingle Peninsula, Cliffs of Moher and Galway are all further afield. The logical way to visit them is in that order and by car. Not sure how you would visit them using public transportation but those who are more versed than I can respond to that.

Sorry to hear about your London experience but I wouldn't let that prevent me from renting a car in Ireland-----But don't use it in Dublin!!

Have a great time!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

Personally I would have spent less time in Dublin and more time for the other 95% of the Island but maybe you have unchangeable work commitments in the Capital.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

I agree with the other posters, and 2/3 days is no where near what you need to see what you listed.

Can you change your plans and spend less time in Dublin?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

@ 11 - 13th - Maybe take the train to Cork or Galway. That's all I'd do for those days.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

Cork is not a day trip from Dublin.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

okay, all. thanks for the advice. I'd like to explain that we are not opposed to keeping the Dublin place as a 'home base' and staying elsewhere for 1 or 2 nights. We do have to fly out of Dublin on the 14th, so it's where we'll wind up eventually.

So how does that change it all? I think 4 or 5 days in Dublin to relax, see the sights and then... Belfast, Cork, etc. I'm asking in what order. And we'd like to use the train as trains are fun and we never use them here in the US.

I would like to end in Galway, if possible--and for more than 1 day.

You all are so kind to help with this. I thank you. Wendy

dublin
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

that's better, trains are expensive though and don't save much time. belfast is probably the best option there. newgrange, howth and wicklow are all easily reachable from dublin. Cork is a day trip including blarney and cashel or mitchelstown caves. Extreme ireland do a few trips like that worth checking out. definitely head to Galway it's small but deceiving and so much fun and you can do day trips from there. one might be good to head to aran islands for one night, but 2/3 nights there anyway. at this time of year no need to book ahead see how you feel and maybe someone'll let you kip at theirs. try couch surfers. either way enjoy you're stay

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

Newgrange is in a rural location so if you are not getting a car, you'll need to take a bus tour. It is less than one hour from Dublin. On the other hand, it is on the way to Belfast, so it would be a pity to double back. Maybe someone else knows if there is any bus service from Drogheda train station to Newgrange.

If you are taking the train to Belfast, from Dublin, make sure it is an Enterprise (express).

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help us make the right plans!!

I don't know about bus service but there are tour buses that go to Newgrange. Also to Powerscourt, Glendalough and Wicklow. I believe that there is bus service to Wicklow and Glendalough from Dublin.

Check with: http://www.buseireann.ie/ for routes and time tables. I believe timetables and maybe even some routes change around May when the tourist business heats up for the season.