We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

Minnesota
Level Contributor
395 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

I am back to the drawing board for hotels, for complicated reasons. My choice is between these two hotels. Is there any reason to pay slightly more for the Davenport, or is the Mont Clare just fine.

Thanks once again!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

They are directly opposite each other in a good location. The Davenport is the newer of the two. The Mont Clare has the more character.

Were it me, I would book the Mont Clare.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
51 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

I have been considering the Mont Clare as well and according to their Facebook reply message to me, they charge for WiFi. I don't know if that is a factor for you but I have to keep up with email while I am away so that has been part of my decision making.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
395 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

Yes, there is no free wi fi at either hotel. I think I read that there is free wi fi at cafes nearby. Thanks lordkimmage...I was leaning towards the Mont Clare, partly because of price. If they are equally good, no sense paying more.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

I suspect they are very similar, as they are both owned and operated by the same company. As Lord Kimmage says, the Mont Clare may have more character as it is partly accommodated in some older building with a new build extension. The Davenport is a new build behind the facade of an old church which was destroyed in a fire about 10-20 years ago.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

Mont Clare was a good base for our visit a few years ago. Good location for walking to most attractions. We would stay again in June but my mother wants to stay at clontarf castle.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

I stayed at Mont Clare a few years ago. I loved the location, but room was rather small. I am trying the Davenport this May. The picture of the room looked like it had a little more space.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
395 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

The Davenport turned out to be great. Wonderful staff and comfortable accommodations.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

Trinity College is right behind the Mont Clare. You might be able to pick up free WiFi in certain areas of the grounds around the campus.

I know you can do this in UCD Belfield when the buildings can be shut on a Sunday. You often see people using their laptops close to the buildings.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

whoseview.ie/business/Davenport-Hotel-South-…

whoseview.ie/business/Mont-Clare-Hotel-South…

Here are a few reviews from locals.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mont Clare or Davenport Hotel

There is free wifi in Cafe Sol which is next to the Mont Clare and opposite the Davenport Hotel