We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

In September, we've got two nights before heading off to Galway, I already bought my hop on & off ticket for dublin so the main attractions are easily reached but me being a history kind of girl have found this cemetary that I'm interested in visiting, Glasnevin. I'd like to have that tour and visit the museum.

I don't know if the hop on and off bus goes anywhere near it but in looking around i found something that said take bus 140. we are staying near Temple Bar, easy to catch near here?

how much time would u need to spend at glasnevin to appreciate it fully, how long does the bus take to get there and will it be frequent in getting us back?

many thanks for your help

:)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

Just get a cab there and bus back

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

Just get a cab there and bus back

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

The HOHO bus does not go near Glasnevin. Cab, as already suggested, is one option which I guess would cost about €10-15 each way. You are correct that the 140 bus is an option as is the route 40. You can get either route in Westmoreland Street, which is adjacent to Temple Bar. Route 40 runs at about 10 minute intervals and 140 about every 20 minutes (though this can vary with traffic etc.) Fare is €1.90 each way, to be paid on entering the bus.

Travel time is about 15-20 minutes. I'd allow about 2 hours for the visit - it's a large cemetery but I suspect that all you want to see is the museum and maybe some of the more important burial locations which tend to be near the museum.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

Hi J3dnight,

I did the Glasnevin Cemetery visit for the second time this week. We spent 3 hours, in fact they closed for the evening so we left! If you are genuinely interested in Irish history, you will spend at least 3 hours. The tour is very informative, and the museum is great. The interactive screens allow you get lost in your own world, thus time slips away.

As I say, that's our second time, and we still have lots that we want to do yet.

Have a nice time. B

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

ty very much !!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

You're welcome.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

new question: how far in advance can you buy train tickets (one way) dublin to galway?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

You can buy them up to 28 days in advance.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

Just wanted to echo the recommendation to take the guided tour of Glasnevin Cemetery - its excellent, as is the small museum. I`d advise you to go to the website and check the times of the tours, from memory they are at different times on different days. Then make sure you get to Glasnevin in plenty of time to join a tour. Kavanaghs pub, also known as the Gravediggers Arms, is a lovely traditional pub right by the cemetery - worth calling in while you are in the area.

Enjoy!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Howdi Dublin - need a bit of assistance,

Lolly & MsRiley, thank you very much, so looking forward to this trip and my first Ireland :)