We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

We are a group of 13 with a 9 hour layover in Dublin. Would love to take a 5 hour tour while we're there. Can anyone tell me who I can contact to make arrangements.

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

Do you mean a city tour? The Hop On Hop Off tour would probably be the best.

There are two companies, one an International company which runs tours in lots of cities, the other is run by Dublin Bus, both tours are almost indistinguishable, which ever you pick try to get a bus with live commentary.

www.dublinsightseeing.ie/…

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tour-Dublin

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

Is that bus line close to the airport?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

HOHO is your best option, as you can cut short your tour if time runs short.

In planning a layover, you need to allow for time to get off your flight, pass through immigration and exit the airport to the city centre. I'd assume at least 90 minutes for that part of your visit.

Returning to the airport and assuming you have no bags to check in and you have your onward boarding passes, I'd plan on being at the airport a minimum of 60 minutes before departure to a UK or European destination to allow for security, possible walk to a distant gate etc. If however, your flight is to the US, you need to be at the airport about 3 hours in advance to allow for US Immigration and Customs pre-clearance (though I'm assuming you are arriving in the morning from the US and leaving in the afternoon/evening for a European destination in which case the minimum 60 minute suggestion applies).

Actual travel time between the city centre and the airport is about 30-40 minutes by express bus or taxi. Wait time for buses can be about 15-20 minutes.

In summary , you would have about 5 hours maximum in the city centre, though if arriving early at the airport, note that HOHO tours do not start until about 9.00am and last about 90 minutes if you do not get off to visit a "must-see" during the tour. Buses are advertised as running at 15 minute intervals though this can vary with traffic etc.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

On your query re location of HOHO bus, it runs in and around the city centre, hence my advice re timing etc between airport and city centre.

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

Thank you for the information. I am also looking to see if we could hire a private tour. Picking us up and retuning us to the airport. Any ideas?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

Sorry voyage444, I'm not familiar with any company offering private tours but maybe if you contacted some of the established companies they could accommodate you with a private tour, a quick google search will reveal their names and numbers.

Just to reassure, it's not difficult to get from the airport to city centre and then pick up a hoho, gives everyone in the group a chance to see what they want rather than just following the group.

7. Re: Layover in Dublin, Want to take a tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:42