We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dublin - belfast

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp, Antwerpen...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
dublin - belfast

is it worth a day trip from dublin to belfast ? and if yes , what s the best way to raech there , by rent car or better by train ? quite some distance though ..

any clue , is there any rent car company offering continental cars for rent ( left side wheel )?

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dublin - belfast

I'd definitely go by train. It's an easy and fairly quick ride with frequent service. You don't really want to be worrying about driving in Dublin (and to a lesser extent in Belfast).

Great place to visit. You might want to post in the Belfast forums to get more specific help on what to see and do in Belfast as well as how to get around.

Keith

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: dublin - belfast

im goin other way if any help in bangor work in belfast. train from bangor to belfast half hour then belfast to dublin two and a half hours all in £25 each return. given the time on train car not much less youd be better doin an overnight stay in belfast. once you get off at great victoria st station days hotel is right behind it, stay there anytime going out on the town. double room is about £50 for the night.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dublin - belfast

I agree with Keith - rail is the most pleasant way to travel between Dublin and Belfast. For ticket prices, schedules etc. see www.irishrail.ie. You can also travel by coach -see www.buseireann.ie. The distance is not great - it's about 170km and takes a little over 2 hours by rail and a little bit longer by coach.

Car rental is possible but seems like a lot of hassle for a short trip like this - and no you cannot rent left hand drive cars here.

Antwerp, Antwerpen...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dublin - belfast

quite a pricy round trip at 40 eur .. journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en…

still in doubts if worth or not one day .

thanks to all for sharing .

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dublin - belfast

The bus is cheaper if that helps?

Belfast is very different to Dublin so if you have sufficient time, I think it is a good addition to the trip. In one day, you can actually cover a lot of the city so it makes it a good day trip. If you do go by train, you get off at Central station but keep your train ticket and it will get you free into the city centre (a short 5 minute bus ride). Turn left after you leave the station and the bus stop is on your left.

If you get the bus, it leaves you at the Europa bus station which is very central.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: dublin - belfast

If you arrive by train, your ticket entitles you to go from Central to Victoria station free...this is about 10 minutes and Victoria is a bit more central.

I think one day is possible but get there early and come back late as there is a lot to do!

I "did" Belfast over three days last year, including a trip to the Giant's Causeway (great!!)

I would also recommend the HOHO bus as this gets you to to Stornmont , which is not easy to reach by public transport, if I remember.

Plus it takes in all the interesting sites in a fairly short time.

But yes, all in all this won't necessarily be a cheap day out!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dublin - belfast

It is definately worth it if you are interested in Titanic. Inside the new Titanic Quarter exhibition centre they have built a replica staircase from the original Titanic ship plans: www.titanicbelfast.com

8. Re: dublin - belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:16