We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Escaping Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Escaping Dublin

We are arriving by ferry Friday next week,about 5.30pm,a horrible time I know,we are heading for Delgany,I have been advised to head accross the East Link Toll Bridge & head for the N11,advice on how slow progress is likely to be on this route & any advice of any alternative route would be much appreciated,although I imagine just about any route out of Dublin at that time of day is likely to be slow going!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Escaping Dublin

Not only is it Friday, but it is the Friday of a Bank holiday weekend. The route suggested is probably the best. I can't think of any alternative that will be guaranteed to get you there quicker

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Escaping Dublin

In general, I would usually say that the East Link toll isn't worth it. When it was built, it was a lot further downstream than the next option, but new bridges have been built in the meantime, that mean it's hard to justify the price.

However, for a first time visitor arriving in Dublin Port, it's going to make life a lot easier, so you may as well go for it.

After crossing the East Link, just stick to the coast road until you cross a level crossing. This won't be too overcrowded with cars as it's not a main route in/out of the city centre.

Once across the level crossing, you'll have to turn left onto the Rock Road (R118). Then your choice is where to cross onto the N11, which runs parallel about a kilometre or so to the west. Personally, I'd opt for Booterstown Avenue (IIRC the third set of traffic lights, more easily to remember, immdiately opposite Booterstown DART station) as it's fairly straightforward. After that, it's left onto the N11 at the end and down to Wicklow.

To be honest, I'd just stick to the easiest route and tough out the traffic.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Escaping Dublin

No one has mentioned the tunnel, why is that?

The last time I arrived by ferry on a Friday pm it took an hour and a half to find our way out of Dublin. I am doing the same journey at the end of April and cant face Friday so am travelling on Thursday, and will use the tunnel.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Escaping Dublin

Using the tunnel to get to the N11 means traversing the whole of the M50 to get to the M11 (more than twice the distance you would travel to join the N7). Taking the Eastlink bridge is quicker (all things being equal)

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Escaping Dublin

Thanks to everyone that has taken time to reply,it's certainly not our first time in Dublin but our last trip was to Killarney,I had planned to use the tunnel but changed my mind & went along the quays & it took nearly 2 hours to reach the motorway,not fun!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Escaping Dublin

Well, wherever I was going, I would use the tunnel, I would rather go round the whole M50 twice than drive even a little bit of Dublin!! Never again!!!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Escaping Dublin

OK thanks again to evryone that replied,one last thing I need to ask is how much the toll is on the East Link,the info from the hotel says 1.30 but I've seen 1.70 listed elsewhere & that had last years' date

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Escaping Dublin

From the Dublin ferry port head over the toll bridge with the coast on your left. Then head to Booterstown, turn right at the Old Punch Bowl Pub and straight up to the N11. Straight run from there. It will be rushour but traffic is always lighter on a Friday as people head home earlier than normal. You can give me a wave as you head up Booterstown Avenue.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Escaping Dublin

Sounds good Fox,I'll honk my horn,cheers!

10. Re: Escaping Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:41