We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland car rental

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland car rental

In searching for car rental options for our June trip to Ireland, I found Autoeurope's prices considerably cheaper than booking the same car directly from a car rental company. For example, a VW Golf from Hertz is €224 for 7 days whereas a Hertz Golf from Autoeurope is quoted at €104 for the same period.

Is there a catch?

Can anyone vouch for Autoeurope in Ireland?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland car rental

Have you added on all the extras? What are the excesses on insurance?

If someone is acting as a broker (as Autoeurope is), then they are taking a cut. I'd be wondering how they can cut €120 off the original supplier's cost.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland car rental

Does the Autoeurope price include LDW?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland car rental

Thanks for your comments.

Below I have included an extract from their T&Cs. Insurance etc seems to be covered and the excesses seem OK too.

I just can't help thinking the offer is too good to be true. Perhaps I should contact Hertz to ask about Autoeurope & the price difference???

Grasmo

YOUR RENTAL INCLUDES

•Unlimited kilometres.

•Collision Damage coverage which limits potential vehicle damage liability to an excess of approximately EUR 1900.00.

•Theft Protection for the vehicle which limits potential vehicle damage liability to an excess of approximately EUR 1900.00.

•Third Party Liability Insurance for injuries or damages to persons or things outside the vehicle

•Local tax 13.5% as of booking date 18-Mar-2012.

•Premium Location Surcharge.

•24 Hour Roadside Assistance.

•Maximum rental length is 28 days.

RENTAL DOES NOT INCLUDE

•Insurance for personal injuries / damage to drivers and passengers, optional coverage may be offered locally for an additional fee.

•Local tolls, congestion areas, highway fees and passes or travel stickers which may be required by local authorities.

•Additional drivers sign on and pay approx EUR9.50 incl Tax per day.

GENERAL TERMS

•Auto Europe highly advises client to check if car is DIESEL or REGULAR fuel at time of pick up.

•Supplier levied amendment, cancellation and no-show fees may apply.

•If a booking is cancelled after collection or is a "no show" , a no show fee of AUD$110 plus supplier levied fees (if applicable) will be charged.

•All optional items purchased and those items not included on the voucher are subject to change and also applicable taxes/fees including the airport access fee and Rental Tax.

•NOTE: There is no refund for unused days.

•Vehicle litreage cannot be guaranteed.

•Additional supplier levied charges may apply.

•Varying your drop off point may result in additional charges.

•Credit card needed for security bond/additional charges.

•All Credit Cards used must be that of the main driver on the rental voucher.

•Fuel - Supplied Full. Must be returned full.

•Any form of debit cards are not accepted for security bond and additional charges including Travelex Cards.

•A full driver's licence is required for a minimum of 1 year.

•Minimum rental age for this vehicle 30. Maximum rental age for this vehicle 79. (Conditions apply for 76+ years).

•Travel to Britain and Northern Ireland only permitted. Conditions, fees and restrictions apply.

•For rentals November to March winter tyres may be compulsory for travel to some European countries. Not available will all vehicle types or all suppliers. Please contact Auto Europe to discuss full details.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland car rental

Your excess is €1900 on the insurance cover, Car hire companies will normally require a deposit of this amount which usually take the form of a "stop" for this amount on your credit card i.e. the credit available to you on your card is reduced by this amount until your car is returned with no claims arising. The alternative is to take out Super CDW insurance with the hire company which is charged at a daily rate and which can end up adding significantly to your car hire costs.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland car rental

beware of companies offering "cheaper" rates...there is no super cdw included that's for sure....get your quote for that then go to some sites that include super cdw and compare apples to apples....

i highly recommend dealing with the car rental companies directly and not using a broker which is what autoeurope is.......

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland car rental

Thanks Oma & Domhnall.

My excess is covered by my credit card's insurance policy.

I am quite suspicious about what, on the surface, looks like such a great deal. Unless I can be convinced they are cosher, I'll pay the extra for one of the well-known companies.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland car rental

You should double check that your credit card insurance is valid for Ireland. Many US credit card companies who apparently offer world-wide insurance exclude certain countries from cover including Ireland. Also, get written confirmation from Hertz or whatever company you choose that they will accept the cover you have - there are numerous stories of visitors arriving here to hire cars who find that their insurance cover is not valid in Ireland or is unacceptable to the rental company.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland car rental

you're welcome grasmo....as long as you are aware, as domhnall stated, there will be a 1900 euro hold put on your card, today's rate that's a tad over $2500..........if you return the car undamaged the hold will be released but if there is any damage this wll be deducted from that, up to the full amount of the hold and you'll have to get reimbursed by your provider whenever you return home.......

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland car rental

We were undertaking a similar exercise recently and noticed big price differences between agencies for hiring cars around Ireland. We were looking to hire in England and drive over to Ireland and back. Some companies charge significantly more if you cross over into Ireland as you are leaving the UK. I noticed your quote said

'Travel to Britain and Northern Ireland only permitted. Conditions, fees and restrictions apply.'

not sure if perhaps your lower quote may have something to do with country restrictions...

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland car rental

oh my goodness, dingski is right...according to this quote, you can't take their rental car into ireland period....just britain and northern ireland.....