We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to London and back times at airport?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tallmadge, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to London and back times at airport?

We are planning to fly from Dublin to London and and then back. We have to catch our flight home to the US in Dublin. How long should it take to get through security coming back form London? We don't want to miss our flight home and still want to maximize our time on London. Thanks!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to London and back times at airport?

Why not fly back from London Direct?

Tallmadge, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to London and back times at airport?

Because we are going to Ireland through a package that was already planned. The side trip toe England is something I am planning on my own.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to London and back times at airport?

I would be very cautious doing this kind of thing. If I'm reading things correctly you have a flight home to the US with one airline. You're planning on buying a separate "unrelated" airfare to/from London?

If something happens to your return flight from London to Dublin, like a mechanical or weather delay, and you arrive too late to get on your flight to the US, the airline taking you to the US has the right to declare you a "no show" on your flight and can charge you for another full ticket. They have no obligation to put you on another flight. (Now maybe they "will" if you beg and plead, but they don't have to).

In addition to clearing security, many of the flights bound for the US also clear US customs and immigration in Dublin. So the recommended time for aiport arrival to do all that is 3 hours.

Unless the flight leaves Dublin late in the day, I would recommend flying in the night before and staying in Dublin or at a hotel near the airport.

Tallmadge, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to London and back times at airport?

Our flight home is later in the day. I am planning on arriving early in the morning, but still wonder how long security will take?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to London and back times at airport?

A number of points:

1. If you are on separately booked flights between London - Dublin and then between Dublin - US, you may not be able to check baggage through from London to the US. This means you will have to collect bags on arrival in Dublin and recheck in to travel on the the US.

2. As your departure to the US is late afternoon, you might not be able to avail of pre-clearance of US Immigration and Customs in Dublin. As far as I'm aware, pre-clearance only operates until mid afternoon. Thereafter, passengers travelling to the US have to clear US Customs and Immigration on arrival in the US..

3. I'd allow about 30 minutes on arrival to get through local immigration in Dublin and for baggage collection. Thereafter I'd allow about 3 hours if pre-clearing US Customs and Immigation or 2 hours if not availing of this faciliity.

4. If not travelling with Aer Lingus from London, you may have to change terminals. Aer Lingus and US carriers use T2. Other airlines on the London-Dublin route use T1.

5. I'd make some allowance for delays on the inbound flight from London, as suggested by Irishfan. However I guess that an hour would be OK for this - the airlines between Dublin and London are reasonably reliable and serious delays are uncommon - though cannot be excluded.

6. In summary, I'd look at being in Dublin about 4.5 hours ahead of departure if pre-clearing or 3.5 hours if not pre-clearing.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 22:38
Tallmadge, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to London and back times at airport?

Thanks all!!

7. Re: Dublin to London and back times at airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2013, 09:23