We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glendalough without a car

Dallas
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Glendalough without a car

I'll be in Dublin for 10 days in May and would like to visit Glendalough, but do not want to drive. I also wish to visit on a weekday to avoid crowds. However, the direct bus service (St Kevins) does not arrive in Glendalough until 11:50 and then departs at 16:30 per their schedule here: http://www.glendaloughbus.com/timetable.aspx

Would it be worth the expense and trouble for less then four hours at the site?

I appreciate your input.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glendalough without a car

I guess the answer depends on why you want to visit Glendalough. Four hours is more than enough to allow for a visit to the historic monastic site in Glendalough. However, if your interest is in hill walking, time may be tight - though there are some routes which can be done in less than 4 hours but which maybe do not get to the more remote parts of the valley. Also note that the bus journey is not unpleasant in terms of scenery.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glendalough without a car

I think to really appreciate Glendalough you need to be there when all the tour buses have gone. I would consider staying overnight. It is a really special place and you would not regret staying near the monastic site.

4 hours is not alot (but then again I'm a person that doesn't really enjoy whistle stop tours) .As you have travelled so far already to come to Ireland it is certainly a place worth seeing....even for a short time!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glendalough without a car

You would probably have time to view the Visitor Centre and the Monastic Site and then walk out to the miners village and back. The walk is easy and some of it is on a paved road. You wont be doing any hiking but you will get to see the lake and Kevin's Bed.

wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WalkingTrail…

4. Re: Glendalough without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 10:25