We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in irland

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
3 days in irland

when we arrive in ireland we are unsure if we should hire a car and start driving towards county cork or should we stay in Dublin and just do a few day tours.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in irland

What you do really depends on your interests.

Are you flying in after or before your visit to Sicily? And what time does your flight arrive in at?

3 days isn't really a lot of time. However with the new motorway its only 3 hours drive from Dublin to Cork. You could easily occupy your time and see some interesting things just by basing yourself in Dublin.

Other than the Dublin stuff, you could also visit Glendalough and Kilkenny.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in irland

As Bean says, it depends on you,

have you been to Dublin before? If not, I would say stay in Dublin, there is more than enough there for three days, you could do a day trip to Wicklow or even one to Belfast by train, but I woud limit it to one full day trip.

Howver if you've been to Dublin and want a change you could hire a car and go to Galway or Cork, but its still a fair bit of driving for three days and perhaps not worth it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in irland

Thanks Bean and Fuchsiagirl, This is my first trip to Ireland, but hubby was there about 2 years ago. This is the first leg of our trip. We are spending 2 nights in England with our son and daughter inlaw and then off to Ireland for 3 nights. We arrive on 26/6 early morning and leave on 29/6 late at night for Paris. Maybe we might stay in Dublin and do a day trip rather than exhausting ourselves. Thanks a million for your help.

Okeechobee,Florida
Level Contributor
169 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in irland

I would also suggest staying in Dublin and save the money of renting a car. One of the days however you might try a bus tour to Newgrange, they usually take you to the Hill of Tara and other interesting areas and provide a wealth of information about Ireland`s history. Just a note my favorites are Mary Gibbons and Over the Top Tours. Mary Gibbons being larger and providing a huge amount of historical information ( like a class on a field trip)and Over the Top being smaller providing a more one on one feel ( like a large family on an outing having the explanations come from a family member that has been there). I hope you have a good time, it sounds like a whirlwind of a trip.

5. Re: 3 days in irland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:17