We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

CHANDLER, AZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

Hello; I am a single profession SWF visiting Ireland in October. I'll be there 10 days. I've been to Ireland before, so I'm wanting to see some of what I didn't before. I'm flying into Shannon and out of Dublin. Want to spend my last 2 nights in Dublin. I want to spend 3-4 in Galway, 1-2 in Dingle, and 2-3 in Kinsale. I've got my plane ticket and my car booked so far (dropping car off en route to Dublin!) Looking for suggestions on where to stay, what to do, what I shouldn't leave out this trip. I'm thinking B&B for all places outside of Dublin. I am an avid photographer, although ametuer, and music lover/singer, again ametuer. No kids on this trip, so I'm looking to enjoy it. Thanks in advance for all advice! I absolutely loves Ireland my last trip (march 2006) which is what I am coming back!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

I can help you with Kinsale. What had you hoped to do there? If you can give me an idea of that, I can help. Kinsale area is very photogenic, but one day trip from there to stunning West Cork is a must, particularly if you have 3 days there. TONS to see in the area.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

If you haven't been to Galway before, it's a great city, more laid back than Dublin. If you have 3-4 days in Galway, I suggest travelling out to the Aran Islands for a day trip. Stunning islands, much to see. 45 minute bus ride from Galway to boat, ~45 boat ride ( take gravol if you get queasy, it can be a bumpy ride). Definitely one of my favorite spots, and you'll get some stunning photo opps.

Dingle is another great area, pleasant colorful town, nice b&b's, slea head drive is great, there is just so much to see there as well.

I travelled alone to Ireland in May 2011 for 10 days ( I am also a female), and I loved it so much I am headed back again this September!

I did not make it to Kinsale or anywhere near Cork, but I plan to this time. Your first two picks are great choices, and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,040 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

Were I you, I would use these three.

www.skeffington.ie/

www.bluehavenkinsale.com

www.buswells.ie

CHANDLER, AZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

Re: Kinsale, my only plans are music and food. I think there is some kind of food festival there that week, and I am all over that. I try to get into the local music scene where ever I travel to. And I am a real foodie, but did not have much good food on my last trip to Ireland. From what I have heard that has changed.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,040 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

Don't know when you were ever here. But I've never heard such piffle.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

Intrigued about the food issue last time for you. Food quality here has been amazingly good particularly over the past 10 years. The slow food movement have made great inroads as have the hundreds of artisan producers dotted all around the country.

You may have been badly advised last time re your eating choices. Hopefully we can improve that for you this time.

You are correct about the food festival in Kinsale in October, here are a few details discoverireland.com/us/…

Also, here is a very good site in general for Kinsale.

Plus two good sites for Cork city:

www.whazon.com

www.cork-guide.ie

But don't just rely on info from them, come back anytime you have questions that you can't get answers to.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

Hopefully you will fare better with food this time. There are tons of great options in all of your locations. For Dublin, check the where to eat section in the questions on the right. Or give us an idea of what you would like to find and we can point you in the right direction.

CHANDLER, AZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

I think I just may have been ill prepared last time. I paid much more attention to planning where to go than what to eat. I have already been to Dublin, but started out the trip with a cold so missed alot there. But laready did the castle, the Guiness factory and Trinity College. Also went to Wicklow, Tipperary, Ring of Kerry, Blarney, and Bunratty. All the typical tourist stuff. I want to see more of Northern Ireland this time, Galway, Clare, Sligo, etc and want to try to make it up to Donegal when I am based in Galway. Then want to hit DIngle, Cork, etc. when based in that area, then head over to Dublin.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
407 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

Your original plan sounded great. But there's no way you can make it to Northern Ireland and Sligo if you're based in Galway. I'd save the area north of Galway for a later trip.

From Galway, we did day trips to Clonmacnoise, the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren in County Clare, and Connemara. And if you add in the Aran Islands, you've filled your four days.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Woman Visiting Ireland in October 2012

It makes more sense to visit Donegal after Northern Ireland rather than doubling back from Galway. As it is, your itinerary involves lots of time on the road for a 10 day trip