We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

A group of my running friends and I are targeting the Dublin Marathon in October 2013. Where is the best place to stay? Want to be close to the start/finish. Probably two people/room. Not sure on my friend's budgets.

Also, appears there is a big gaming convention during the same time frame each year....so hotel rooms may be sparse and I want to jump on reservations ASAP. How far in advance can you book?

Obviously...I'm a planner! Any suggestions for further exploration after the marathon?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

It all depends on your budget. There are tons of places that will be suitable accomms for Marathon weekend. Tell us what your nightly room budget is in Euros (without breakfast) and we can help further.

There is no advantage to being accommodated too close to the start/finish, so don't restrict yourself by focussing on that.

As for what to do for further exploration after the Marathon. Have a look on the right hand side of this page (Top Questions) and click on 'What can I see and do in Dublin?' That will get you started on an itinerary.

Maybe you would also take part in the fantastic Cork City Marathon in 2013 also, or failing that put it in your calendar for 2014???

Edited: 30 April 2012, 23:05
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

I agree with Bryno, there is no advantage with being accommodated near the start / finish line. There will be signs, helpful staffs at the hotels to point you in the right way and usually there will be shuttle buses.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/news.php?article=189

As for accommodation, there are plenty to choose from. I liked D4 area but that might be a bit far. Temple bar is a good spot, lots of accommodations of all sorts.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

Lee - Cork City Marathon for you?????

After all, we have a river named after you ;-))

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

Thank you! I'll ask my friends about their budget. I find staying close to the start/finish is really convenient and helps me mentally prepare for the race. Worrying about getting to the start line can be pretty stressful. I'm not opposed to moving hotels after the marathon. I'd like to spend at least 10 days in Ireland so my itinerary is not limited to Dublin.

As for Cork City Marathon, it won't be 2013 as I only do one per year and 2014 is definitely New York City. Maybe 2015? Can't wait to see your beautiful country! I've heard nothing but good about the Dublin Marathon.

Ireland
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

I agree with the OP regarding staying within close proximity to start/finish line. I personally stayed at the Mespil when running the Dublin marathon previously. Even though you must check out before running, you can still have a shower afterwards. Its a short walk to the start/finish line and is relatively cheap (it was at the time anyway). I think the Grand Canal Hotel is close by too, although there are quite a few others within that area. Its also an easy getaway if you're heading south down the N11 due to some road closures etc.

Having said that if you are staying for a few days then you might want to explore other possibilities as the other posters having mentioned.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

The 3 O'Callahan hotels are very close to the mont Clare, The Alexander, The Davenport. All beside each other on Merrion St. Have a look on hotels.com or Expedia.ie. start is on Fitzwilliam st but you walk from Merrion square the bag drop and finish. The hotels are 3 min walk under disabled marathon fatigue legs.

Why not come in 18weeks to Dublin 2012 . It's only cheap on Ryanair . Even if you just watch and don't run

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

Thanks for the additional information. Would love to come this year...but running Detroit, October 21st.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

I recommend you stay at the Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge. The Dublin Marathon Expo 2013 takes place in the RDS Main Hall right next door to the hotel, its a lovely scenic safe place, budget friendly- tell them you are staying for the marathon they offer special reduced rates - and seriously you are 10 minutes walk to the start and finish line and 10 minutes from the coast for a lovely run - also on the main N 11 route to the south east of the country for some nice drives to Wicklow or tours. Make sure to visit Galway, Bunratty & Ennis, Cork- Fota & the city, Kerry - Killarney, try and get Kilkenny or Belfast on the way back . you will be full in 10 days. Definitely look for Dublin 2 or Dublin 4 area hotels - the only ones to be in. www.bewleyshotels.com - I stay there every year :) Emma

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

Thanks, Emma! That looks like a GREAT hotel! I appreciate the recommendation. Shared the link with my friends and we'll see what they say. We are definitely going to road trip after the race. Thinking of wondering about starting Wed and returning to Dublin for a flight out on Sunday. Beyond excited! I've heard nothing but good about Ireland.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin Marathon - 2013 -- Best Place to Stay??

Digressing slightly - best of luck to all runners in next weekends Dublin City Marathon. God bless you all and your legendary legs (and in some cases - arms)