We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rentals in Dublin

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
860 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
car rentals in Dublin

Anyone have any experience renting a car from one location in Dublin (downtown by our hotel) and returning it to the ariport location on our return flight. (we'll be coming to the airport for our return flight from Galway, so thought it would be easier to stay at the airport our last night). I'll start to look myself as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rentals in Dublin

When I was doing my research, I looked at several consolidators such as autoeurope and compared prices, entering the same pickup and drop off then reentered the info using different location- there really was not a lot of difference for the convenience. Then I went directly to the websites of companies like avis, hertz, dooley and did the same,

I am picking up in downtown dublin and dropping off in Shannon- was only about 20 euros more.

Actually my travel agent was able to get me the best price through Avis.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rentals in Dublin

The "downtown" car rental locations in Dublin tend not to be centrally located. Avis and Hertz are both about 2 miles west of the centre and Budget ditto north of the city centre. However, some may offer a pick-up at your hotel at the outset of the rental.

It can be easier to exit Dublin by car if you pick up at the airport, particularly if you are a first-timer on the "wrong" side of the road. There is a direct motorway link from the airport to all routes exiting Dublin. That said, the exit routes from the downtown Hertz, Budget and Avis locations are not too convoluted.

Finally, a reminder that you do not need a car to get around when in Dublin. City centre driving is demanding and the "must sees" in Dublin are easier to get to on foot or by HOHO bus.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
860 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rentals in Dublin

Appreciate that. It just seemed counterproductive to me to take a cab to downtown Dublin from the airport and back again, two days later to pick up the car to begin a trip "south". But since we are not sure of the driving "on the wrong side of the road", pardon the pun, I agree it might be smarter just to go back and get the car as you suggest. Possibly, we could reverse our drive, if that might make more sense. We were planning on ending up around Galway, for a few days before heading home. We were originally going to start our trip after two days in Dublin, towards Wicklow and south. Nothing except our flight times are set at this time. Thanks for your time.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rentals in Dublin

Driving to Dublin from Galway might be an easy introduction to driving in Ireland as it's mostly motorway/dual carriageway. Your original plan of heading south toward Wicklow would require you to abandon the main roads after 30-60 minutes if you wanted to get to the more interesting parts such as Glendalough.

If going to Galway and picking up at either Avis or Hertz, you could consider picking up at their "downtown" locations which are both reasonably convenient for accessing the M4/N4 route west out of Dublin. However, the airport is only about 8 miles north of the city centre, so It's not a major trip if you want to go back there to pick up your car.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
860 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rentals in Dublin

My husband and I are both 65, so you'd think driving wouldn't be a big deal for us. We've done it for AWHILE. But for some reason the sights we're choosing to see aren't on the main "highways". We just need to be realistic in our planning and not try to see the whole island in two weeks. Thanks for your advice.

Wakarusa, KS, USA
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rentals in Dublin

If you haven't booked your car hire yet, take a look at http://easytourireland.com/--they use Hertz cars and their competitive prices cover EVERYTHING: CDW, Super CDW, Third-party Liability, Theft Protection, on and on and on! There are no surprises and no worries with this company! I can attest to a good experience with them!

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
860 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rentals in Dublin

Thanks. Just got off the phone with them. Very impressive.

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rentals in Dublin

AKLR - Did you call the phone number in Utah? Also, did you happen to discuss how they handle the tolls? At a quick glance, their rate looks to be $100 less for a week's rental, compared to the reservation I currently have through AAA.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
860 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rentals in Dublin

No I didn't, but was very impressed after talking with "JOHN" He's very helpful and I'm going to book through them. I never use my AAA membership with cars

as previously could always book another company than Hertz cheaper. But in Ireland, I'm going with easytourirleand.com even though they only use Hertz as well. Give them a try.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
860 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rentals in Dublin

Woops, meant to say YES, did call the Utah number and talked personally with John. Sorry