We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

We are pretty seasoned travelers, but will be going to Ireland for the first time. We will fly into Dublin and then need to get to the King Sitric Hotel in Howth. We will not have a car and are OK with trains or light rail. What are the specific train directions for this route?

Later in our stay we will then travel from Howth to Limerick and would again like to use the train. What are the specifics for this trip? Thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

We are pretty seasoned travelers, but will be going to Ireland for the first time. We will fly into Dublin and then need to get to the King Sitric Hotel in Howth. We will not have a car and are OK with trains or light rail. What are the specific train directions for this route?

#### There is a very good regular train (DART) service from dublins Connolly Station to Howth station. However best bet when you arrive at Dublin airport is to get a taxi directly to Howth which is just 10 miles from the airport about 30 mins journey time. Approx cost €30. The alternative is to take a bus to Busaras (Dublins main bus station), walk 3 mins to Connolly station and take the train back to Howth. While this is a slight cheaper option, it can potentially take at least double the time of direct taxi from the airport to Howth.

Later in our stay we will then travel from Howth to Limerick and would again like to use the train. What are the specifics for this trip? Thanks.

#### This will involve the DART train from Howth (about 25 mins) to Connolly station, then a LUAS tram to Heuston Station (15 mins) and from Heuston the train to Limerick with one change at Limerick Junction. Look at rail schedule at www.irishrail.ie Train Journey time from Dublin to LImerick about 2.5 hours.

Be aware that bus and train schedules can be different at weekends (Saturday/Sunday) and on public holidays.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 07:45
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

Bryno has given some good advice above.

I would suggest that for the Dublin Heuston to Limerick leg of your journey you book this online at www.irishrail.ie as it will be cheaper than buying a ticket at the station. You can book up to 28 days in advance and you collect your tickets from any of the ticket vending machines at Heuston Station.

When travelling from Howth to Dublin Heuston I would advise taking a DART train 1 hour or slightly more before your Heuston to Limerick train leaves. It will be 25 mins into Connolly Station and 15 mins on LUAS (light rail tram) to Heuston Station. you can buy tickets for dart and luas at the stations (€1.50-€2 each). Note that when you are at the Connolly Luas stop you can also check the times on the screen for the Busaras stop which is across the street. There are 3 times as many trams from here to Heuston than there are for Connolly so this can save you 10 mins waiting

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

A detail to add to Bryno's advice - if you did decided to use the bus and rail option from the airport to Howth, take the Airlink 747 route from the airport to Busaras. There are other airport coach services but the Airlink service is the only one to link the airport and Busaras. Note that the total cost of this option (bus and rail combined) would be €17 for 2 people.

If you were feeling a little more adventurous, you could take Dublin Bus route 102 from the airport to Sutton Station and then take the DART on to Howth. Route 102 is a normal city bus service which runs about every 30 minutes. Sutton Station is one station away from Howth. This option would cost about €8-10 in total. Note with standard city bus services, you need the exact fare in coins on boarding. You can purchase DART tickets separately at the DART station.

However, I think that taking a taxi makes much more sense given the time saving and lack of hassle involved - despite the extra cost.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

Just to be aware that the train doesn't always change at Limerick Junction (which is actually in Co Tipperary so don't be tempted to get off there!!). There are a limited number of direct trains between Dublin and Limerick. But the change at Limerick Junction, if necessary, is fairly easy.

Limerick Rail Station is just beside Limerick Bus Station and is only 10 minutes walk from the city centre. There are cabs outside the main gates.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

Thank you everyone for so many great suggestions, it is much appreciated. Now I get to decide which is best for us. We will be arriving on June 23rd.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

Good information Bean.... I was just looking at the railways map yesterday and was wondering about the Limerick Junction stop. I believed it was in Co. Tipperary and not in Limerick City and you just proved me right. I think I remember changing trains there on a trip to Cork many years ago.

Will have to remember this when I take the Dublin to Limerick train in Sept.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

R&B you do get around! Enjoy Ireland. It's on our list of places to go as well but will have to wait until next year when I have more vacation time. Maybe when we are at The WH in January I can glean from your travel experience. See you and Barb in January 2013!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

Hi Travelboomers. Yup, we're down to three weeks til Ireland! We are pretty excited about SWH in January too! See you then.

9. Re: Transportation Questions, Dublin, Howth, and Limerick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:42