We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollyhead to Dublin

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Hollyhead to Dublin

We are travelling to the UK in late August early September and staying with family in Rhyl (Wales) for a few day before venturing to Dublin. My question is, will I be pushing my luck booking a family of 5 on the ferry to Dublin, and can you suggest a travel agent or booking agent for this part of our journey.

Also, how rough is the journey over?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollyhead to Dublin

I'm not clear as to what your concerns are re booking a family of 5 for a trip to Dublin. The trip and the booking process are both pretty straightforward. There are two competing ferry companies on the route - Irish Ferries and Stena. In additional to serving Dublin Port, Stena also link Dun Laoghaire and Holyhead - Dun Laoghaire is a small port about 5 miles south of central Dublin with rail links to the city centre.

You can book online at www.stenaline.ie or at www.irishferries.com. There is a range of options as to how you want to travel including by high speed ferries or on the slower but larger car ferries.

The quality of the journey varies with the weather but the larger car ferries are big ships which are pretty stable in most forms of weather. The high speed ferries tend not to sail in rough weather but I'd expect the weather to be OK in late August or early Spetember.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollyhead to Dublin

In what way could you be 'pushing your luck'? Just go direct to the website of either ferry company and book it yourself and print out your paperwork, no need for an agent at all.

Are you intending on just hopping over for a day in Dublin, in which case you do not need a car, or is it the start of a trip round Ireland?

If taking a hire car you must let the company know you are going abroad, and you will need ££ in UK and euros in Ireland.

As to the journey, if it is at all rough the fast ferries are cancelled and you are transferred onto the larger slower ferries, the Ulysses is Irish Ferries biggest boat and not much bothers her, fully stabilised, huge, and very steady.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollyhead to Dublin

The journey is not rough these days All the ships are stabilised and the fast cats don't cross if its too rough .

You go to Rhyl station and book Rail and sail to Dublin Connoly or Dun Laoghaire to get Stena Line or Dublin for the other company. Or as you will be staying with family and have a uk address you can book earlier and have the tickets sent to that address.

…stenaline-online.co.uk/rail-and-sail.asp

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollyhead to Dublin

The only slight thing worth mentioning is that you can't walk up and get rail and sail tickets for immediate departure in the UK any more. You must do it a day in advance. The restriction doesn't apply if you get your rail and ferry tickets separately.

The limitation was introduced because at peak hours, the return fare from London to Dublin was lower than a lot of intermediate stations in the UK.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollyhead to Dublin

Bought mine at Southport station Easter Saturday sailed the same day. But it is wise to book a couple of days in advance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollyhead to Dublin

Thanks for the advise I will take another look at my options....My family is very close to Rhyl station, so purchasing them from the station on our arrival to Rhyl may just be the way to go.

7. Re: Hollyhead to Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:16