We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Dublin to Belfast

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
From Dublin to Belfast

Hey,

My flight lands in Dublin at 5:15 PM.

Is getting to Belfast on th same day a reasonable idea, or is it better if we sleep in Dublin and hit the road the next day?

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

It will take you between 2 - 2.5 hours to drive from Dublin airport to Belfast. Check this website for routes and driving times: http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes%5Fbeta/

If you would like to take public transport then two bus companies connect Dublin Airport with Belfast:

1. Bus Eireann, takes about 2 hours, I think it costs around €15.00 for a one way http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1306337595-1.pdf

2. Aircoach, also takes about 2 hours , €16.00 one way www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=358

I don't see why you wouldn't able to make it to Belfast after your flight but it does depend on how long your flight was I suppose!

Edited: 10 June 2012, 14:53
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

Okay, thank you :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

Oh, and I was just wondering, when you get off of the bus at Belfast, are they checking your passport and luggage?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

No customs or immigration between Ireland and the UK.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

The land border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is open with no border formalities and little to indicate that you are crossing from one jurisdiction to another. There are occasional spot checks on bus and rail passengers by immigration authorities but they are quite infrequent.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

Thank you guys :)

I got another question if that's ok. Basically my friend and I are planing to go around Irealnd by public transport,and I was wondring what's the best ticket I can buy to save up bus fare?

Again, thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
75 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

As far as i know there is no ticket you can buy that covers all destinations. You will have to buy separate tickets i think.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

Using public transport to get around the country may be OK between cities and towns but may be limiting for getting to the more remote scenic areas, particularly on the west coast.

You also have the complication some tourist tickets for bus services are only valid on Bus Eireann (Republic of Ireland) services and my not be valid on Ulsterbus (N. Ireland). You can also get combined bus and rail passes but these may also have limitations - see http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=279 for more details.

Dublin
Level Contributor
75 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

Oh I totally missed this wheni had a look earlier. The Irish rover bus ticket could be good. Valid in the North too.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Dublin to Belfast

Passes fo exist, but they don't seem to like letting you find them

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=279

Looking at these passes, the best for you is probably the Irish Rover, as it's valid on Bus Eireann in the South and Ulster Bus in the North.

It seems you can get passes that cover

- Buses in the North and South

- Trains in the North and South

- Buses and Trains in the South

- Buses and trains in the North

A pass that covers absolutely everything doesn't seem to exist.

I'd be a little bit cautious of whether the bus tickets repesent good value. The one that covers 8 days travel works out at 25 a day. There aren't a huge number of journeys on Bus Eireann that cost more than 25 for a single.

You may also have a bit of a problem getting the ticket. You need to order 14 days in advance for delivery (unless Tel Aviv counts as rest of Europe, in which case it's 7 days) or collect the ticket, but Dublin Airport is not listed as a pick-up location.