We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Aug

Spokane, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
Dublin Aug

We are going to visit Dublin in Aug. I am thinking about wearing my tall leather boot because they are comfortable.

Will it be too hot?

Will I look out of place?

Do women wear boots in Dublin in Aug?

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Aug

It's impossible to tell what the weather will be like and this year has been even more unpredictable than usual.

All I can say is that if the temperature is below 15 C you will not look out of place wearing boots.

Actually unless it's absolutely sweltering I don't think boots will look that unusual.

Maybe pack a pair of light flip flops just in case.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Aug

Sorry lolly but I have to disagree! I think you might look a bit ridiculous in Winter boots in August. the weather may well be bad (today is horrific) but you should be able to manage with comfy shoes or sandals.

Spokane, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Aug

Thanks!

If I give up the boot idea, what about sandals?

I got the boot idea from a friend at work who said to bring a raincoat and boots even in Aug.

Lolly suggested flip flops? Will it be that warm?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Aug

Well the good thing abut flip flops is that it won't matter if its wet! You will see lots of Irish women wearing all kinds of Fit Flops.

I think the main thing on holiday is to have comfy shoes/sandals. Its really impossible to predict the weather - it should be nice in August but it should also be nice in June and it's truly awful today :-z. Having said that I have been wearing my comfy sandals all day even walking the dog in the rain.

Spokane, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Aug

Thanks.

I guess I will pack my sandals and wear my side on mules. So that takes care of shoes for me.

Next I have to work on clothes. How about capris? Are they practical/popular there? Or should I just stick with blue jeans and a skirt?

It might seem like I have never left home before but, it is just that I am trying to pack for 2 weeks in a carry on (including my yoga mat).

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Aug

I know how you feel. We're off to Italy in 2 weeks and I'm trying to figure out what to bring with us. I tend to overpack and this year I am determined to master the art of minimal packing :-)

Capris would be perfect ( we call them 3/4 length trousers here). I would also bring a full length pair of trousers. Jeans can be bulky Nd can be hard to dry when you're travelling. Just remember to bring layers as you will probably go from freezing cold to roasting hot and back to cold again all within the space of a few hours.

If you do find that you have run short of clothes or have brought the wrong type there are lots of good value clothes shops around such as Penny's and Dunnes Stores where you can pick up fleeces rainjackets shorts flip flops etc if you need them.

I hope I have helped and haven't managed to confuse you further!

Enjoy your holiday to Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin Aug

I wore flip flops in the rain today. The thing you have to be careful about is to have ones with some sort of grip for when it rains otherwise you will be hyroplaning across the footpath!

I appreciate what you are saying about winter boots being ridiculous in summer dubfam but if August is anything like June has been I would be pretty happy to have a pair of stylish knee length leather boots in reserve! At least you can be sure you wont need them in Italy!!!

I have to agree Pennys is fantastic for cheap emergency clothes!

Spokane, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin Aug

Lolly

Thanks. I will watch the weather as the trip gets close as I hate being cold. If it was not for the trying to only pack a carry on I would bring the boots for a back up. We are staying in a condo with a washer/ dryer so I will be able to get by with limited clothes (to make room for the yoga stuff and my knitting). Usually I travel with way too much stuff.

All that being said, I am also a shopper so I have to leave a little room for new clothes (or shoes).

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,899 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin Aug

My wife still brings the kitchen sink.

Irrespective of nature you will enjoy.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin Aug

Yoga mats, Knitting, Kitchen Sink......I know a guy coming on holiday here soon who will be bringing 8 llb Wellington Boots. Maybe you should all meet up or start a community or something.....