We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to select car rental - need some info please

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to select car rental - need some info please

I need an Automatic vehicle to fit 5 people for Sept 1-Sept 7th 2012.

I got a rate today from Dooley for the following:

1. They said the rate does not include the fuel or the Euro 1,800 excess liability which can be reduced to E100 for $23 per day - not sure what this means???

2. They will also charge an additionaly $90 to pick up the car from center of Dublin - isn't there a place to drop it myself in the city center??

So if we chose the mini van here are the numbers:

Mini van $695

E100 ($23*7 days) $161

Tires/glass ($7*7days ) $49

Extra driver ($10*7days) $70

Total $975 may have to pay if there isn't a drop off in city center an additonal $90.

Otherwise I also got a rate from Thrifty for $1208 that includes extra driver, all the extra insurances.

Any recommendations and some help with explaining what Dooley has commented on.

Seems so expensive to rent a car in Ireland!!

Clifton Park, NY
Level Contributor
67 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to select car rental - need some info please

We just returned from a three week driving tour of Ireland with Dan Dooley. Yes it is expensive to rent a car.

We did pay the $23 per day to cover excess liability. As I understood it, this meant that no matter what happened to the car, the most that I would be responsible for would be 100 Euros. If I did not pay the extra $23 per day then I would be responsible for up to 1,800 Euros to cover damage to the car.

The $49 you were quoted I believe would cover damage to tires or glass. From what I have read, tire damage is a common problem for those of us trying to drive on the left on narrow roads. We also paid for the extra driver and the first tank of gas.

We picked up the car in downtown Dublin. They explained to me that they did not have an office in the city and that they would bring it to me for $90. I dropped it off at the airport the evening before we flew home.

Everything went well. The car was in good shape and there were no surprise charges.

We had shopped around and their price was the best (of all the high prices) and we had several friends who recommended them.

If anyone has a better way to go, please let us know. We plan on returning next year. Good luck.

PS. This was the worst part of planning our trip to Ireland. Everything else was a pleasure, especially with the help of so many people here on TA.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to select car rental - need some info please

1. The rate of $695 includes collision insurance with a deductible of 1800 euros (you pay for the first 1800 of damage). They offer the option of additional SCDW insurance (for $23 a day), which reduces your deductible to 100 euros in the event of damage. If you don't purchase the SCDW, they may put a hold on your CC for 1800 e., for the duration of your rental.

2. Maybe just drop your party & the luggage off at your lodging in Dublin, then return the car to Dublin Airport, & catch the bus back downtown - much cheaper.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
312 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to select car rental - need some info please

Two things if you do book with Dan Dooley, I have been directed to 2 different booking screens (I am booking 2 cars) the price difference is almost $100.00 USD make sure you go to dandooley.com to enter your info not dooleycarrentals. Also you can enter dochara in the promo box to save 5%.

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to select car rental - need some info please

Dooley Car Rentals [info@dooleycarrentals.com] this is where this quote came from. I went to the Dan Dooley website (at least I thought) is this a different company?

Thanks for the information, this has been the most challenging piece to figure out for our trip! Should we keep the car over our final two days in Dublin and skip the $90 for them to pick it up. I thought that parking might be expensive but I have not researched this element.

thanks

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
312 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to select car rental - need some info please

We are also returning our car in Dublin City Center and I did not have any additional charges come up. I am not confirmed however, it will be another 24 hrs I have only received quotes. When I tried to book the second car at dandooley.com it said I already had a quote and directed me to the dandoolerentals.com page, where I first got the quote, the pages look different but are the same company, strange, I will call them tomorrow. Perhaps the exchange rate has dropped since my first quote, but I'm not going to pay an extra $100. So I have 2 quotes for the same car for about $100. difference from the same company. I will use them though, they seem to be the favorite with the least amount of problems reported on TA and I always trust the people TA over any other sites.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to select car rental - need some info please

as was stated before, i recommend dropping the car off at the airport and then taking the bus or taxi to city centre....you won't have any need for it while there and parking is at a minimum with parking fees at a premium

....not to mention you save two days rental and insurance....

7. Re: Trying to select car rental - need some info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2013, 10:17