We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itineray please comment

Alexandra Headland...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
itineray please comment

Need input: is this too much, we have 14 nights in Ireland, 3/6/13 to 17/6/13. we need to hire a car. Best way to do this and through who? I seem to keep hitting walls.

Fly into Dublin: 3 & 4/6 in Dublin

5/6 Collect car? Dublin to Tramore (still researching any ideas on what to see & accommodation?)

6/6 Tramore to Cork (still researching any ideas & accommodation?)

7/6 Cork to Killarney

Accommodation? Spend part of day in Cork city, drive sth thru Kinsale,Clonakilty, Glandore, Union Hall, Baltimore, Skubberen, Schull to Mizen Head. Then ntor thro to Gengariff & Garinish Island up and over Healy pass to Kenmare, Moll's Gap into Killarney through National Park.

8/6 Killarney to Galway

Accommodation:?

Ring of Kerry (circle back to Killarney) Up thru Adare & onto Limmerick. County Clare via Bunratty Castle to Cliffs of Mohr.

9/6 Galway to Wesport (still researching any ideas and accommodation?)

10/6 Westport to Donegal (still researching ideas and accommodation any ideas?)

11/6 Donegal Derry to Londonderry (still researching ideas and accommodation any ideas?)

12/6 Londonderry to Belfast

Accommodation:?

Causeway coast, Bushmills, Carrich-a-Rede, Glens of Antrim, Cushendlin & Cushendall, Glenariff (waterfalls).

13/6 Belafst to Dublin:

We fly out 17/6 so have an extra few days inbetween.

Besides the questions I have asked are we trying to see too much, we would like to only stay 15/16 in Dublin when we get back so have one extra day we could spend on our travels. Are we allowing enough time in certain areas or have we too much and need to spend more time in some places.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itineray please comment

The Killarney-Galway and Westport-Donegal days are very long. You might be better pacing yourself and spending one less day in Dublin at the end.

Between Tramore and Cork, there are a few places worth stopping:

- Ardmore - A relatively nice seaside village. It also has a round tower and one of Ireland's best restaurants.

- Youghal - The town sometimes seems like it's seen better days, but just off the main street is probably the best collection of historic buildings in Ireland, with a variety dating from the 13th to 16th century.

- Lismore - A heritage town on the river Blackwater. Nice for walking around.

- Midleton - Primarily to visit the distillery where the majority of Ireland's whiskey is made.

- Cobh - The departure point for millions of Irish emigrants and the last port if the Titanic.

Because of a choice of routes, it would be tricky to combine Lismore with Youghal and Ardmore.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itineray please comment

Why Tramore?

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: itineray please comment

Will repeat Sonnas' question; why Tramore? Would go diectly to Cork to save time for the longer journeys later.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,908 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itineray please comment

Previous visitors have indicated that the ROK can take up to 8 hrs unless you just want to race around it. So your 8/6 day seems to be undoable - to try and get Bunratty and cliffs in as well as ring.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itineray please comment

It's a very busy schedule; if you're looking for a road trip, then that's fine, but if you want to "stop and smell the roses" you'll be very disappointed. And ask yourself: do you really want to pack up and move on every day, apart from Dublin?

7 June

That route involves ALOT of driving and will mean a loong full day in the car. It's almost an hour's drive just from Cork to Kinsale.

08 June

Is impossible! It takes a full day to drive around the Ring, starting from and ending in Killarney. And it's 5hr drive from Killarney to Galway via the Cliffs. Add in a couple of hours for Bunratty and 1-1.5hrs for the Cliffs, and that's a full day's activities.

9-11 June

Looks like lots more driving each day. Co. Donegal is Big! Lots to discover and enjoy in this county, including the highest sea cliffs in Europe at Slieve League; Glenveagh National Park (and Castle); Inishowen Peninsula, Tory Island:

http://www.donegaldirect.ie/

http://www.oileanthorai.com

http://www.toryislandferry.com/

http://www.glenveaghnationalpark.ie/

http://www.visitinishowen.com/home

We tend to recommend folk visit either "top half" or "bottom half" of the Island, drawing a line west-east from Galway to Dublin. Here are a couple of itineraries to give you some ideas; the first is a southerly route:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i20574-Irelan…

and this one is northerly from Dublin:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i30139-Irelan…

:-)

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itineray please comment

I just got back from Ireland and rented a car from Dan Dooley. They rent right out of Dublin airport. I had no problems. They can provide a GPS upon request as well for an extra fee.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itineray please comment

I drove from Cork to Mizen via the route you describe, it took me 3 hours with no stops. I think you will end up just ticking places off on a list with this itinerary, you need to consider actually enjoying the trip.I recommend you look at the route planner on aaroadwatch.ie and thne add on 20% min if you have not driven in Ireland before. Some of the roads you will be looking to travel will be more like country lanes, where two cars will just about pass each other.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: itineray please comment

Why is Dan Dooley being mentioned ?

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: itineray please comment

Whoops! Sorry!

Just saw OP needed carhire info.

I just get paranoid everything the words "Dan" and "Dooley" are mentioned togehter!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,847 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itineray please comment

I would reverse the route...Save Dublin to Last and start by driving North from the Airport on great roads into Belfast. Saves all the messing back and forth on buses in the first days and the airport is an hour closer to Belfast than Dublin city center to start with.

14 days is just enough time to do the locations you want to spend the nights in but perhaps you have included a little too much sight seeing to suit many peoples taste. I don't have a problem with road trips but you need some time out of the car...

I will assume that Tranmore has ancestral links so no problems.

Nothing wrong with Dan Dooley car hire or any other car hire company if you do some research into what you are going to be paying "At the collections desk" Just avoid booking through bargain basement agencies, book direct.

Come back with a few comments, have a serious think about what you can cut out to give more "me" and less "car".