We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car quote via Budget - how real?

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
319 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
car quote via Budget - how real?

I have been reading about the number of extra charges are being tacked on car rentals, but no specifics, so I am unsure what our costs will be when I rent. Can someone share experiences?

I am looking at an intermediate (5 person) automatic transmission for 8 days to/from Dublin airport in November, and I am getting a quote under 400e, and I declined nothing on the Budget.ie site. Supposedly "Price includes all compulsory Insurances, Government Tax, Unlimited Mileage and 24hr Breakdown cover."

Seems extremely reasonable to me considering automatic is more rare...or is it? What extra charges might be added?

Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

There are plenty of threads and trip reports on the issue regarding car rentals. I would encourage you to do a "search" of the forums to find out the info you are seeking.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

"Supposedly "Price includes all compulsory Insurances, Government Tax, Unlimited Mileage and 24hr Breakdown cover."

That may be true--but it does not include Super CDW. As timeshare suggests, do a search as there are many topics on the forum covering your question.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,930 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

It will not include the wheel and glass cover and will not be the price the commission monkey on the desk will try to get out of you.

Send them an email asking for confirmation that this will be the price you pay at the desk, Ask if the prices includes the "summer 12" discount. Ask what extras will be required and or added when you get to the collection desk.

You could also ask if it's true that their desk clerks at Dublin airport are all as nasty as reports on TA claim they are, (might not get you anywhere)

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

My husband and I are renting a Compact/Automatic through Avis for just three days picking up and dropping off at Dublin airport first week of October at a cost of $275.00 US. The add-ons include 30 Euros Airport Pick Up Fee, 16 more a day for the SCDW insurance (highly recommended, 15 a day for the GPS and do not forget your full tank of gas for approx 100+ euros - YUP add ons!

They are so correct, please research through the posts for advice and info on car rentals, etc. This is an article I found through TA to read up on.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138899/Irela…

Remember it is suppose to be vacation!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

This is November, an off peak period, so prices will not be as high and a lower price at that time of year is not out of line. The obvious additional cost is CDW excess insurance and possibly things like second drivers. GPS etc would be extra, if you want such things.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

Please be sure you CAREFULLY read the Terms and Conditions of rental which is on the Budget website. It specifically details any and all additional charges you may see for your rental and any add ons that you may choose, such as extra driver: http://www.budget.ie/ and go to the bottom of the screen and choose Terms and Conditions and a pop up box will show up with the detailed information.

We have rented with them twice now in Ireland and have had no problems at all with any 'extra' charges that I did not know about because I read the T&C carefully (I work on contracts so it is an occupational hazard but one that leaves me with no questions on fees and such!)

Wakarusa, KS, USA
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

Check out easytourireland.com as they include EVERYTHING, even SUPER CDW, and will give you a guarantee in euros at the time of booking. No hidden charges or surprises at the counter.

Hope it works out for you.

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
319 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

Thanks folks, and sorry for being a little unclear in my first post. I was looking for specific costs, not just categories, which I did find through my searches in the TA board. I did not want to turn in the car and find I was looking at a 1000e charge when I was expecting half that. Trying to balance the cost of moving a family of four over the train/bus system vs. a car. To me, trains are relaxing, especially since I drive 60 miles RT car commute to work everyday!

SharCaff, thanks for the specific numbers, that was what I was looking for.

Jeanne V - thanks for that link as well, will compare to other sites.

9. Re: car quote via Budget - how real?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 10:16