We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Castle from cruise ship

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dublin Castle from cruise ship

I'll be in Dublin on Sept 4, 2012....coming in on a cruise ship. Is there a way to tour Dublin Castle without using the ship excursion?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Castle from cruise ship

Yes, just get a taxi into Dublin city and you can tour as many sights on foot as you have time for or indeed take the HOHO bus. Dublin Castle is in the city centre so that can be one of your itinerary items. No need for an organised tour when in Dublin.

Some details here for Dublin Castle

heritageireland.ie/en/dublin/dublincastle/

Edited: 04 August 2012, 22:53
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Castle from cruise ship

I should have added that the cruise terminal at Dublin Port is not far from Dublin City Centre. Taxi should not cost you more than €10

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Castle from cruise ship

I agree with Bryno - take the taxi and I expect that it would be far cheaper than the cruise organised tour. The HoHo bus is a great suggestion, to give you a quick tour of the city, with the opportunity to hop off and see a bit more of the various sights. The tour, non stop, takes about 90 minutes. There are two HoHo companies - they travel the same route. About two thirds of the Green HoHo buses have live commentaries, which are more enjoyable than the buses which provide a multi lingual commentary. I don't know what percentage of the Red HoHo buses have live commentary, but both companies will have it clearly marked on the bus. If in doubt, check with the driver, before boarding

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Castle from cruise ship

Just to make sure you don't think Dublin Castle is a castle as most people would imagine(moat/battlements etc.)It's a more "modern" building than that,but still interesting.

5. Re: Dublin Castle from cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 09:17