We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poyntz Pass

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Poyntz Pass

Hello TA peeps!

Am visiting Ireland,will be in Dublin Sept. 3 til the 11th.Will have my mother and sister with me.Mom's maiden name is Poyntz,I know there is a place called Poyntz Pass,but where and how far from Dublin I'm not sure...and transportation to get there?? I read renting a car is not a good idea,as it is very expensive,all cars are standard,roads are curvy and winding.I am planning to hit Stag's head,and to take Mom to Food,Folklore and fairies ,.Any other suggestions for must sees are always welcome.Oh and what castle is easiest to get to,as Mom is 75,and tires easy.Thank-you in advance

Melissa

Dublin
Level Contributor
793 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poyntz Pass

Hi Melissa,

Welcome!

Poyntzpass is a very small village on the border between County Armagh and County Down in Northern Ireland. It is close tl Armagh City. Hence you will probably get a lot more information on the Northern Ireland forum. Remember you will need sterling pounds and not euros in Northern Ireland.

It is on the main cross border train line from Dublin to Belfast, and there is a local station there However, I cannot figure out if the station is actually still open. It is 120 kms north of Dublin, so is probably closer to Belfast.

Lots of previous posts on car rental. If you did not want a car, you could get the Enterprise train to Newry and get a bus from Newry to Poynty pass. However, this is run by 2 different 2 train/bus companies in 2 different countries with 2 different currencies, hence it is slightly complicated to purchase tickets. You can check out the Dublin - Newry train timetable and ticket options at www.irishrail.ie, and the Newry to Poyntz Pass bus timetable at www.translink.co.uk, Example: translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

The translink site is better.

You could also get a taxi from Newry to Pontzpass (15 kms), and you can also get a bus from Dublin to Newry. Check out www.buseireann.ie.

Iwould recommend a car in your case, even if you only hire it for 2 days. You could also get it from the airport, which is on the way to Belfast. Perhaps do it at the end of your journey, that way you can drop it off there.

I would suggest you split your post into 1 for information on how to get to Poyntz pass in the Northern Ireland/Armagh forum, and another on castles close to Dublin (note: there are plenty of castle types in and around Dublin, but some castles are really just big old Georgian/Victorian grand houses). You probably need to be more specific about what you are looking for. That way you will get what you are after.

Hope that helps a little...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poyntz Pass

Poyntzpass would be an easy drive, an hour on the motorway and 15 minutes on a main road. By public transport the best way of getting there is probably on by bus to Newry (these stop at Dublin airport) and change buses for the 20 min journey to Poyntzpass. You can just buy tickets on each bus, if you have Sterling for the second leg. Not sure if they will sell one ticket.

see http://www.translink.co.uk/Journey-Planner/

Local trains do go there, but Dublin trains do not stop there, so the connections are less convenient.

Ireland
Level Contributor
565 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Poyntz Pass

If wishing to go by train it's possible to depart Dublin Connolly at 4.50pm arriving Poyntzpass station at 6.58pm (change at Newry).

The ticket office at Connolly can sell Dublin to Poyntzpass tickets. However it will most likely be considerably cheaper to buy separate Dublin - Newry and Newry - Poyntzpass tickets. Irish Rail have fares from €9.99 single or €19.98 return Dublin - Newry (= €2/3 transaction fee) if booked online between 28 and 3 days ahead of travel. The Newry - Poyntzpass ticket can be bought in Newry station on the day for £2.40 single.

For further details on the train times:

Enterprise (Dublin Connolly - Newry):

www.irishrail.ie/media/DublinBelfast111.pdf

Newry - Poyntzpass trains (only a few early-morning and early-evening):

translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

The train trip is relaxing and there's catering onboard. After departing Dublin the train runs along or close to the coast for most of the way to Drogheda. Just after Drogheda it crosses the Boyne Viaduct. Between Dundalk and Newry the railway runs through the foothills of the Mourne mountains.

Hope you have a nice trip.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poyntz Pass

Poyntz Pass apparently takes its name from Colonel Poyntz, a British army leader during the 'Nine Years War' against Hugh O'Neil which led to the Plantation of Ulster. The location was also used by Gen. Monroe as a camp prior to the battle of Benburb in 1646.

I have never been there, but if you are looking for interesting places to visit then the Irish Linen Museum at Lisburn is highly recommended, also th aclaimed Hillsborough castle and gardens is worth a look.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poyntz Pass

There are Poyntz's down here in Kilkenny and Tipperary. Elizabeth Poyntz was Lady Thurles back in history. There are people bearing the name of Poyntz around the south east area. In Kilkenny, one of the mediaeval slips is called Poynz Lane and there is a Poyntz Road in Inistioge. Just a couple of examples of references to Poyntz in the South East.

6. Re: Poyntz Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:17