We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Dublin Airport

Gilford, Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - Dublin Airport

I am travelling with 5 adults to Ireland in September.

I am a little confused about what is the best coverage for vehicle rentals. There are so many choices.

Are there any suggestions the type of vehicle to rent. We will try and limit out luggage. We definitely need to rent an automatic.

There will be 3 drivers and we do not need a GPS as we have one.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

Should I have my own insurance from Canada?

Thanks for your help,

Sheila from Ontario Canada

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

In theory, a mid sized car such as an Opel Insignia or Toyota Avensis will accommodate 5 adults but it may be uncomfortable for 5, particularly if traveling for extended periods - or if some of the passengers are on the large side. Also the boot (trunk) may not be adequate for the amount of luggage involved (even if you travel light). I would consider an MPV such as a Ford Galaxy if touring with 5 people.

On insurance, it is highly unlikely that your own insurance from Canada will be acceptable to car hire firms here in Ireland - particularly as most US (and probably Canadian) insurance options do not cover driving in Ireland. In assessing insurance costs, you need to look at the cost of both Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Super CDW in budgeting for car hire. In theory, Super CDW insurance is optional but if you decline, the hire car will put a stop of circa €1000 - €2000+ (depending on the value of the car) on your credit card to cover the cost of potential damage. The stop effectively decreases your credit limit by the amount of the stop until you return the car and the hire company is happy that there is no chargeable damage to the vehicle.

Finally, make sure you read all the small print and get all details of the hire agreement and costs involved in writing.

T P
PA
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

I am not sure about Canadian insurance but US insurance will not cover one in Ireland. I think that is the case most places. I would recommend planning on and budgeting the rip-off insurance they will try to sell you at the airport. It will give you piece of mind. I rented a car for 6 days in June 2012 from Dublin Airport. The cost of insurance was about 3x the cost of renting the car. It sucks, but if you do research on this board, most people recommend just spending the money.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

' I am travelling with 5 adults to Ireland in September' - does this mean there are 5 or 6 of you in total?

Gilford, Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

Thank you for your information.

I was considering the Avensis as it looked like it would accommodate 5. I will definitely upgrade as we want to be as comfortable as possible. Your information is very helpful as there are many fine points to this insurance business with car rentals.

Do you think we should just wait until we arrive to book at the airport or should we book something now. We are looking at Sept 9-22, 2012.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Sheila

Gilford, Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

Sorry there are 5 in total.

Gilford, Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

Thank you will have to budget for it.

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

You should book in advance, especially if you want an automatic transmission.

Gilford, Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

Thank you, will book soon. Thanks for everyones replies. Has helped alot.

9. Re: Car Rental - Dublin Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 23:15