We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castles near Dublin?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
251 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Castles near Dublin?

I will be in Dublin for 4 days in October. I reviewed the ranking of "things to do" of Tripadvisor and I did not find castles to visit it. Are there options near Dublin? How would I go there from Dublin Downtown?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castles near Dublin?

In my prep for Ireland, I have found that there are two main types of "castles" in Ireland. Those that have been restored or maintained with furnishings etc - like Dublin Castle which is in the heart of Dublin or those that are empty with standing walls such as Trim Castle or Blarney Castle.

Then there seems to be a lot of pseudo castles that are hotels.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
251 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castles near Dublin?

Mathladyca49,

Thanks for the info!

Dublin Castle doesn't look like the medieval castles I thought, with big towers, stone walls, on a hill, etc. But for instance Trim Castle is closer to the kind of attraction I was looking for. I am going to read a little more about it. Thanks again!

Dixon, California
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castles near Dublin?

Have you thought about making a day trip to someplace like the Rock of Cashel? I imagine there are lots of tour companies that could take you out that way if you aren't renting a car.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castles near Dublin?

if you want somewhere that is easy to access from downtown Dublin, check out Malahide Castle, which you can access via DART (suburban rail ) or bus route 42 from the city centre. It's about a 30 minute rail journey and a 10 minute walk from Malahide Station. There is renovation work ongoing at the castle at present with some reconfiguration of facilitie but is is scheduled to complete on 12 September 2012. See www.malahidecastleandgardens.ie.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castles near Dublin?

Drimnagh Castle is the only castle in Europe with a working moate fed by underground rivers 20 minutes from Trinity Colledge get the 151 bus or the 27 both will leave you within 2 mins walking to castle in the grounds of Drimnagh Castle Primary and Secondary Schools you can also get the 123 bus to Guinness hopstore when you come out get the 123 again to Kilmainham Gaol then on to Drimnagh Castle leave the castle and take the Luas which is within 5minutes walking pathway behind castle and back in town via several musemes.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
251 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castles near Dublin?

Valuable information!

Thank you all!

7. Re: Castles near Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 06:17