We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
902 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Hi

I am taking my other half to Dublin next week and would appreciate some advice as I dont think I have a clear picture of my plan so far for some of the trips outside of the centre.

I have been following the forum lately and have decided to take the bus to Glendalough that leaves at 11.30 from Dublin and returns at 16.30.

I would like to know if this covers the wicklow mountains or is there a separate trip for the mountains?

Also, I am planning to see Greystones and Howth. How can I best make use of my time to cover all these places together if possible?

Are Greystones and Howth places to spend a few hours in and can I cover them both in a day?

Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
675 reviews
from US$81.00*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour and Galway from...
548 reviews
from US$56.10*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,205 reviews
from US$62.30*
Best Seller
Blarney Castle and Cork Day Trip from...
1,057 reviews
from US$68.50*
San Diego...
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Have you considered a Glendalough tour? I've been on two and really quite enjoyed them. They show you a bit of the mountains, Glendalough of course, and usually make one other stop as well (destination depends on the tour).

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

The timetable you mention suggests you are thinking of taking the St.Kevins Bus. This travels to Glendalough via Bray and does not take in the more scenic parts of the Wicklow Mountains. Maybe check out alternatives such as Day Tours Unplugged or Wild Wicklow Tours for tours via the more scenic parts of Wicklow.

Howth and Greystones are easiest if visited by DART (suburban rail) but these cannot be combined into a single tour with Glendalough. Howth is worth the effort for a few hours - particularly if you want to take in the cliff walks. Greystones is pleasant but not worth the effort if time is tight.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Skip Greystones. Get train to Dalkey train station and walk around the coast road to Killiney instead and the back to Finnegans Pub for lunch.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Yes, skip Greystones.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
902 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Ok, how long would it take to walk from Dalkey to Killiney, and would it just be a trip for the scenic walk?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
902 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Someone on here suggested doing the walk from Greystones to Bray cliff walk which they say is 7/8kms in length. How does this compare to the Dalkey-Killiney walk you are suggesting?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

everytrail.com/guide/dun-laoghaire-dalkey-an…

Have a look at the above trail but start off in Dalkey rather than Dun Laoghaire. Although if you can manage the whole walk from DunLaoghaire it would be very rewarding. I have walked all of the bits a number of times over the summer. Just get off the DART at DunLaoghaire station.

Dalkey village is very nice with lots of interesting pubs and eateries. The walk along the coast is very scenic. Lots of nice houses. Maybe pass by Bono or the Edge on your way. Great views. Take a stroll along the rocky Killiney beach.

irishcentral.com/news/Dublin-oil-find-may-up…

Here is a not quite up to date story.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

How did it work out in the end? Where did you go?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
902 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Hi

We only had time to go to Howth in the end. It was lovely :)

Edited: 08 October 2012, 20:45
Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
902 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glendalough/Greystones/Howth advice needed

Oh sorry, yeah, we also did a day trip to Wicklow, Glendalough, Avoca...using a tour company.