We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to UK

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
Ferry to UK

My Mum and Aunt want to take a ferry to Holyhead and on to Manchester, they are getting bus to Busaras, can anyone tell me if there is a shuttle from Busaras to Dublin Ferryport. From the Stena website I gather there is a bus from Westmoreland street but thats a little inconvenient for them and the luggage they have.

They dont want to go Eurolines/Irish Ferries which of course would be ideal!

Also can they turn up at the port and buy their ship and train tickets on the day without having pre booked them online?

Thanks everyone.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to UK

Rail and Sal to Manchester is easy enough and the Stena collection is just over the road from Bussaras. Or get a taxi (about (€12). I don't blame you for not wanting Irish Ferries. I generally phone the booking the day before from this side. the return can be booked at the time or at any Mainline Station over there the day before return. You used to be able to book on demand but think that costs extra these days.

Ireland
Level Contributor
548 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to UK

On the outward journey I'd be inclined to get a taxi (as per Tony's post).

In terms of the bus to Dublin, a 5% discount is possible by booking online with Bus Éireann.

Buying the SailRail tickets at the port on the day of travel probably should be ok but if there's any major event on it may be advisable to get them in advance. Once I didn't book in advance and had to go over in emergency and was put on standby with Irish Ferries but thankfully then there was enough room that I was taken. SailRail tickets can be bought in advance in person at Connolly station ticket office or by phone from Irish Rail 1850 366 222, 09.00 to 17.00 Mon-Fri. (They'll also sell the return tickets if wished - even if returning a different route).

Another possibly useful piece of advice is that it's possible to get the SailRail ticket through to the station nearest their destination in Manchester (it doesn't have to be Manchester Piccadilly - it can be the likes of Salford Crescent, Reddish North or Trafford Park etc...). If needed the following map may help locate the nearest station:

http://www.northernrail.org/travel/networkmap

For the return journey I see two possible daytime options:

1. Leave Manchester early-morning around 06.00 for the 10.00 fast ferry from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire (also Stena Line). This ferry runs until 11th September and just takes two hours arriving into Dun Laoghaire around midday. Allow ten to fifteen minutes for getting off and there's a train at 13.56 from Dun Laoghaire reaching Wicklow at 14.40. The ferry terminal has a cafe and is just across the road from the railway station (there's a lift down to the platform) so no steps to worry about at any stage.

2. Leave Manchester mid-morning (about 10.00) and catch the 13.50 ferry from Holyhead (Stena Adventurer) which is back in Dublin at around 17.05. Take the Morton's coach from right outside the Stena Terminal and it'll drop off at Connolly around 17.40. There's a train around 18.30 to Wicklow everyday (there's also a 17.36 train but unlikely the coach from the port would make it).

(The Morton's coach is not included in the SailRail ticket price and costs €2.50 per adult single)

A Manchester to Wicklow SailRail ticket can be bought - it's just necessary to tell the person at the ticket office over there the sailing time ex Holyhead. Best to buy at least a day before travel as buying on the day of travel is £5 dearer.

Adult single fares:

Dublin to Manchester is €39.

Manchester to Wicklow via Dún Laoghaire is £50.50

Dun Laoghaire is dearer as it's on the fast ferry.

Manchester to Wicklow via Dublin is £46.50

For either route the following page gives times:

stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/holyhead/

but advisable to double check train times on the UK side on the

www.nationalrail.co.uk website

If wished to buy the return tickets online:

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/SailRail/

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to UK

Very informative and appreciated. They wont be travelling from Wicklow however but from Galway and that end is sorted.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to UK

I do Loughrea to/from Southport or Manchester a couple of times a year it's about a 12 hour run all in. will be coming from in a couple of weeks. Try and get the left hand (opposite the platform) train seats heading out from Holyhead for the coast views

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to UK

No idea what your bias might be with Eurolines. But this site has good advice.

www.seat61.com

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to UK

Euroline & Seat 61 sell Irish ferries.....Some of us have a problem with Irish ferries.. sort of Ryanair of the sea without the cheap tickets but with worse customer service. and more expensive extras.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,265 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to UK

Some of us, on the other hand, are very happy to use Irish Ferries again and again.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to UK

I tend to book with whoever has the most convenient crossing times, I've used both Irish Ferries and stenaline. This time I'm using stena, because IF didn't have the crossing times I needed.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to UK

To clarify why they arent going Eurolines/Irish Ferries...they will be sitting on a coach from Galway to Dublin for approx 21/2 hours and dont want to be confined on a coach for another long spell when they reach Holyhead...these ladies know what they want and G od help me but I'm driven mad with them as it is!!

They are both on a nostalgic trip that ends in London and has a few stops in the Midlands also, and they are flying back.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to UK

Go to www.irishferries.com/ie/sailrail.asp

Book a SailRail ticket from Dublin to Manchester, and collect it at Dublin Ferryport. Simples!

Personally, I find Irish Ferries' ship 'Ulysses' the classiest ship on the irish Sea, ahead of Stena's Stena Adventurer, although there's nothing wrong with that. In additon to the ship 'Ulysses', Irish ferries also have the 'Swift' fast ferry departures, whereas Stena's HSS fast ferry is now seasonal, summer only.

Irish ferries are certainly not Ryanair. They have enabled online booking of SailRail tickets from any irish Station (including Galway) or Dublin to any British statioin (Stena only offer certain stations), and they deliver by post to irish addreses or allow collection at Dublin Port, so that's another reason i recommend them over Stena in this instance.