We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Pubs for people in ages 40s &50s.

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin Pubs for people in ages 40s &50s.

Could you suggest Pubs that play local music in the pubs where we could have a good time without the young rowdy crowd? An area where it will be safe to walk the streets at night.

Thank You!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Pubs for people in ages 40s &50s.

Pa05, what area of the city are you staying in as there may be some pubs clsoe to you that have music going.

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Pubs for people in ages 40s &50s.

We are staying in Drogheda and driving in.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,073 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Pubs for people in ages 40s &50s.

Drogheda is 30 miles out of Dublin and probably (locals correct me!) 45 minutes to an hours drive from Dublin!

Wouldn't you want to just find a nice pub in that end of things and not drive all the way into Dublin?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Pubs for people in ages 40s &50s.

The drive from Drogheda will take about an hour - not ideal. Drogheda has plenty of pubs of its own - I'm afraid I don't know the place well enough to be more specific. But it could certainly be said that not all the best bars in the country are in Dublin - great bars are everywhere (although so are some pretty awful ones it has to be said).

You might get good advice here if you post just looking for Drogheda pubs or maybe from someone in your accommodation (? hotel or B&B landlady).

If you do come to Dublin you'll find plenty of bars with a mixed aged group - maybe more so during the week than on Fri and Sat nights. I would say avoid Temple Bar which tends to be a younger crowd. Head for bars around the Grafton Street area such as McDaids, Davy Byrnes, the Duke. For music try O'Donoghues on Baggot Street - it is for all ages and has music every night I think. I'm sure it has more tourists than most and people will probably argue about the place for trad. music but I've met loads of visitors over the years who have all LOVED it.

As for personal safety - I feel safe walking in Dublin city centre at night - and definitely do around the area these bars are located in. But it is a big city and stuff happens from time to time. Just act as you would in any major city - keep your wits about you.

Dublin
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Pubs for people in ages 40s &50s.

Drogheda is about 40-45 minutes out of the city. O'Donoghues is a great place for Music. It's on Merrion Row which links Stephen's Green to Baggot Street. It caters for all ages and has a session going every night.

You can also try the Stags Head and the Dame Tavern. They have music most nights of the week but it isn't always guaranteed.

It safe to walk around most parts of the city and certanly up around Stephen Green and Dame Street, put like the previous poster said, like all cities just keep your wits about you.

IRELAND
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Pubs for people in ages 40s &50s.

Ok, as I am originally from Drogheda, I will recommend places in Drogheda itself, saving you the journey to Dublin!!!

McPhails in Laurences St is a tradional pub, extreemly popular.

Carberrys, tends to have traditional music on Tuesday nights, but you would need to check.

Clarkes pub in Peter St is as it was 50 years ago, full of snuggs etc, good crack

Other nice places are Black Bull, Scholars Townhouse and D hotel.

Good places to eat around Drogheda include:

Bachaus Bettystown (expensive)

Forge Collon (expensive)

Borzalinos

La Gondola

Boiled Onion

Picking any of these means that you can walk home in Drogheda!

Enjoy