We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown or Airport?

Tallahassee, Florida
14 posts
Save Topic
Downtown or Airport?

Im going to book a hotel in Dublin on 3/17/13-3/19/13. I want to know if I book in the "aiport region" is it a long distance to the downtown area? An estimate of how many kilometers would be great..

Tallahassee, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown or Airport?

Will the bus/shuttle schedules be effected by the St.Patrick's Day activities? My flight leaves at 6am but I'll be there for 2 days... and my thought process is I would rather worry about getting to the airport one time instead of downtown numerous times(or where ever the festivals are)..

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown or Airport?

Don't stay out in the sticks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown or Airport?

The airport is not that far from the city centre area - about 8 mls/12km. Hotels which advertise themselves as being "airport" hotels can be quite a distance from the airport - sometimes up to 5 miles. I'd agree with your thinking of staying in downtown location near the"must-sees" rather than near the airport, where there is little to do.

You can get a taxi to the airport which, in the early morning with no traffic, should cost about €25 from the city centre. Alternatively, you could take the Aircoach service, a dedicated airport express bus which runs 24/7 on a number of routes via the city centre. See www.aircoach.ie.

With a 6am departure, I'm assuming that you are not returning to the US ? (as most US flights depart mid-late morning). I mention this as you are recommended to be at the airport 3 hours before departure if travelling to the US and pre-clearing US Customs and Immigration in Dublin. If going to the UK, Europe or Middle East, you might aim to be there 2 hours in advance and can probably get away with a little less.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown or Airport?

I wouldn't recommend staying near the airport, either. There isn't much to do in that area and you'll be too far from the best parts of Dublin to really enjoy them without dealing with transportation issues. Dublin is a great town for walking; I always stay a little north or a little east of the Grafton street area. That way the hotel is reasonably quiet (not right in the middle of the action) but I'm only a brisk 15-20 minute walk from lots of great pubs, shops, restaurants, etc.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown or Airport?

Look at all options between Dublin Airport and Dublin City Centre so you will have the best of both worlds.

Happy to advise on names when I know your budget.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown or Airport?

If your getting in late to Dublin & just dropping off your car before a few hrs rest then the airport is the job! Free regular shuttle buses. On the downside they tend to be a bit expensive, but like I said your saving at least €20 on a taxi?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
143 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown or Airport?

6 euros for Airlink bus to town centre, 10 for return. 30 minutes in traffic, 15 no traffic. worth staying in town unless you have a early flight or late arrival.

Green Bay WI
Level Contributor
129 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown or Airport?

Stay in town. Our last day out went like this:

8am leave hotel downtown

8:20 arrive rental car drop off at airport

8:35 arrive at airport from rental car shuttle

8:45 completed bag check in and initial security check in

Preclearance started at 9:15 for the flight.

Flight boarding started around 10:20 with wheels up at 11am.

We did not have lines or crowds but there was roughly four security screenings to show passport to prior to getting to gate to fly back to USA.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown or Airport?

Hi RamblingBadge,

You had an excellent experience - not sure what time of year you travelled.

Just to bring a little balance to the advice - Dublin Airport Authority advise us to recommend a three hour time allowance to all International flights and two hours for all European flights.

Always best to check with your carrier.

Regarding car rental returns some are swift and some are very slow.

We have seen too many travellers return to our accommodation (in the past 21 years) having missed flights.

10. Re: Downtown or Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 22:18