We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

Bowdoinham, Maine
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

I will be in Dublin next month for the first time and want to know the best way I should go about getting euros. Should I go to a local bank here before I leave or wait till I get there and use an ATM. Do all ATMs there honor all US ATM cards including credit union cards? Thanks for any advice anyone can give...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,969 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

Use your Visa, or Mastercard Debit card, (I believe credit union offer the best rate least charges) in ATM's try and use those attached to the Banks wall when the bank is open just in case of any problems. You will not be charged by the Irish bank for using your card (unlike native Irish who are) but (like native Irish) your bank will set and take the charges.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,447 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

Yes, ATMs are the best place to get euros. Your credit union ATM card should work fine--ours did. Be sure to let your bank (or credit union) and your credit card issuer know where and when you will be gone so that they don't flag your cards for suspicious activity (use in a foreign country).

There is no reason to purchase euros before you leave. There are ATMs in both the Dublin and Shannon airports.

Bowdoinham, Maine
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

I thank you for your advice. I will not get any euros here in the US but will wait till I get to Dublin and use an ATM. Do you know if there is a bank close to the Dublin airport where I may use their ATM?

I will also contact my credit union here who issued me the ATM card, let them know of my plans so I won't have any problems using it in a Dublin ATM.

Thank you again.

Bowdoinham, Maine
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

I thank you for your advice. I will not get any euros here in the US but will wait till I get to Dublin and use an ATM. Do you know if there is a bank close to the Dublin airport where I may use their ATM?

I will also contact my credit union here who issued me the ATM card, let them know of my plans so I won't have any problems using it in a Dublin ATM.

Thank you again.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
396 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

I used my Navy Federal Credit Union ATM card once while there, without any problems. I was pleasantly surprised that the fee was only $1.51 total, that's cheaper than if I were to use an ATM here in the states that isn't affiliated with NFCU!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

akemi0- I don't have direct experience with this but I have looked at the layout of the Dublin Airport and there were several ATMs located in the airport.

Here is a link to the Arrivals hall @ Dublin Airport.

dublinairport.com/Libraries/Maps_-_Terminal_…

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,138 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

Just bring your plastic.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k5759686

Dublin
Level Contributor
266 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

Just in case the ATMs won't work for your card (a small risk) I'd bring enough dollars or euros to get you to your hotel, & keep you going till the banks open. If you bring dollars & need them, change them at the airport.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

Broadens suggestion is a great one. ATM's have known to "eat"cards, be out of money or simply malfunction. If the airport's exchange is closed then having a few euros for cab or bus is always a good back up plan.

10. Re: Best way to exchange US dollars for euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:16