We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Tip

Boston
Level Contributor
151 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
How to Tip

This is my wife's and I first trip to Ireland. We are staying at the Merrion in Dublin. I have heard so many diverse opinions on tipping from neighbors in the states that we are truly confused. So we decided to use the forum to find what the custom is for certain services:

Tax Cab drivers ? (we are going to and from airpoty)

Pubs?

Hotel Staffs

Chambermaids daily

Porters

Conceirge

Restaurants (waiters and Waitresses) What percent on a meal?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,954 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Tip

I think the article in the "Top Questions" section of the general Ireland forum will help you out:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-s606/Ireland:…

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,923 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Tip

Ahh, I thought you knew the score.

On this side, we don't tip. But I would leave ten bucks for the maid.

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Tip

We do tip on this side and for that matter personally on any 'side'..............mean not to.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 08:03
Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Tip

We do tip here.

For a cab driver I would tip a couple of euro for that journey. Usually just a euro.

Waiters/Waitresses I would tip between 10-15/ for good service, a bit more for exceptional service.

Barmen don't normally get tipped, but if you get table service from someone, it is customary to leave small change for each round.

Re hotel staffs, for porter, a few euro, and Concierge and maid as you would at home.

Enjoy your trip

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Tip

Yes we tip as stated above and also in the article linked by IrishFan.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Tip

Taxi/cab drivers - a couple of euro. If the fare was say €23, I just hand them €25, if €27, I'd probably give them €30 and not look for change. But let's say the fare was €11, then I would just give them a euro tip - I wouldn't hand them €15 and tell them keep the change.

Restaurant staff - if service charge not included, 10/15% of the bill, depending on how good the service was. If I was dissatisfied with the service or attitude, I would only give a token euro or two.

Bar man - nothing and not expected, but if served by lounge staff at the table, a euro or two would be adequate

Chambermaids - I generally leave a tip on the day I'm checking out, and I usually give €2 per day.

Porters and Conceirge - I never use them, so can't advise, but perhaps a euro per bag for a porter??

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Tip

I am very nosy, if people at the table next to mine leave while I am still there I nearly always look to see how much tip they leave (I like to call it research!!!) I have been astounded over how little, sometimes nothing, some people leave even when I would consider that the waiting staff have been very good. Perhaps I have just been sitting next to Lord Kimmage rather a lot!!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Tip

Lollymcd, before I had read through your post fully, I thought you were going to tell us, that you would take the tip of the adjoining table, and leave it on you own table. LOL. It is possible that they might have used the option to add it on to their bill, if they were paying by credit card, but yes, some people are mean and clearly their children have never worked as waiting staff, otherwise they would know how much a tip means to their server

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Tip

Are we to start leaving American-size tips? A tip is just a few bob for someone who has given you superior service, not a supplement to their wages. I think it's a bit harsh to call people mean! Tips should be earned, not expected.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,954 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to Tip

"Are we to start leaving American-size tips? "

As an American, I will just jump in and say none of the amounts mentioned in this thread would be consider usual or customary in America. :)

Please don't use these amounts if you're visiting the States as you're not likely to make any service workers very happy!