We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin for teenagers

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin for teenagers

Was thinking of booking a long weekend in Dublin next month as a surprise for my husband's 50th. A friend of mine said she wouldn't adivse to take our teenage daughter with us. She is 15. We have never visited Dublin or Ireland before and have been wanting to for years. We will rent a car to explore also, so why shouldn't we consider this? Is my friend wrong in her advice?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin for teenagers

Its a beautiful place to visit. Regarding your teenage kid , i don' t see anything that should stop you from bringing her. The place do have a lot of pubs around(a few junky ones too) .maybe your friend was cautioning about them.Have a nice trip.

Edited: 21 September 2012, 23:44
2. Re: Dublin for teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2012, 08:05
Edited: 22 September 2012, 08:05
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin for teenagers

I cannot think of any reason why you should not bring your daughter with you. At age 15, you may not want to let her off on her own at night, as would presumably be the case in any city with which you were unfamiliar. Dublin is certainly no more dangerous or difficult for a 15 year old than any other comparable city.

As regards a car, if you intended to stay and explore in and around the city centre, it would probably be easier without a car. Much of central Dublin is easy to visit on foot and you also have the option of the HOHO tour buses - a good way to get to know the city. See www.dublinsightseeing.ie and www.vikingsplash.com.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin for teenagers

The only issue I can imagine with a 15 year old might be as it relates to accessing and spending time in pubs at night. There are the varying hours, depending on age and circumstances.

This might be a particular issue if you all wanted to attend a traditional music session in a pub, where it could extend past your daughter's time to leave; but not yours, as adults:

tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186591-c116590/Irelan…

citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_l…

By the way, what are your daughter's interests? If you give us an idea, we can make specific suggestions for her.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin for teenagers

This might help with other ideas for your daughter:

http://things4teenstodoindublin.wordpress.com

And, on the off chance that any one of you might enjoy a little retail therapy, even it's only window shopping:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k56129…

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin for teenagers

Just got back from dublin, we went just my OH and me, i think our 16 year old daughter would have been happy for a day shopping. any longer and she would have been bored.

I know she would want to go in the bars in evening and couldn't.

There isnt really anything for her to do in dublin, no real sights, she doesnt do musuems, not allowed to drink.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin for teenagers

Thank you all so much for this great information, it has been a huge help. I think there will be plenty to do and my daughter seems fine with everything as she herself has been wanting to visit Ireland for a number of years. (Having been born in the USA, she has celebrated many 'St. Patricks Days'. The site seeing hop on hop off tours and the tours out of Dublin look good for us. We are not really into bars as we are not heavy drinkers, but it would be nice to go in and see a couple of good ones in the daytime and have a guinness.The Ghost Tour sounds good, especially as we are visiting just before Halloween. We love visiting markets, so we'll try those and hopefully we can go to a show in the evening where they have Irish dancing and folk music as we would all love that. Our daughter is really into dancing. Any recommendations for a good restaurant where we can take my husband for his 50th b'day whilst we are there would be most appreciated. Thanks again, MrsB.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin for teenagers

This 'Best of Dublin' article was posted by Lollymcd, one of the Destination Experts for Dublin and might give you a few ideas and suggestions, including for restaurants:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k57682…

And, this short and so sweet report from earlier this year of a visit to Dublin might also inspire you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k54751…

These Old Dublin Pubs are all pretty central:

independent.ie/travel/inside-ireland/take-10…

Scroll through here for October events:

http://www.visitdublin.com/events

Finally, this map of Dublin City Centre should give you your bearings - assuming you're staying fairly central - as well as highlight some points of interest:

http://www.guidetodublin.com/map.shtml

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin for teenagers

Saginaw - thank you so much. I am going to book Quince Cottage in Sandyford as it has got such great reviews on here, unless you can recommend anywhere better! Thanks again, MrsB

Mentioned in this post
Sandyford
Sandyford
County Dublin, Ireland
10. Re: Dublin for teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2013, 10:16