We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire at Dublin Airport

Torquay UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire at Dublin Airport

Some advice please - we were regular users of carhire.ie - which gave excellent value rentals + ability to drop the car off at any Irish airport with no extra charge. We had previously used Nova but when they were taken over last year their charges went up a lot plus when you went to pay the bill you were hit with other charges you were not anticipating. It appears though that carhire.ie is now up to the same tricks. I have now booked Hertz through the Ryanair web site and they appear to be offering excellent value - in fact got a car for a £1 on May 10th! My question is do you have to go off the airport on a shuttle bus to pick up Hertz cars? I was looking at the UK website travelsupermarket.com and they use Euro 3000 and Argus - has anyone got any experience with them?

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire at Dublin Airport

The Hertz lot is about 200m from the arrivals area, but they have a shuttlebus outside beside the taxi area.

Check my 'Car hire beware' posting for all the scams they operate on hire charges.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire at Dublin Airport

Hi. In case you do go with Hertz in Dublin, check in at their desk in the terminal first. They give you the paperwork and you make a right out of the exit. Cheers.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire at Dublin Airport

Beware of booking car hire through Ryanair. Ryanair is renowned for stealth charges and not giving you the full picture. I booked a flight to Paris return with them and never booked the car rental with them because they forgot to mention they never offered unlimited mileage in France. I drove in total 1200km in France, imagine I never knew oh I cant even imagine the fee.

Check, Check and check again anything booked through ryanair.

Level Contributor
43 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire at Dublin Airport

I'd have to agree with bertie. Ryanair is a nightmare. I've heard more scary stories about people being stranded by them than I could possibly pass on. That Hertz deal sounds too good to be true...just make sure you read the small print!

To answer your question about the shuttle....once you leave the arrivals gate, the Hertz desk is just to your right. Once you complete the paperwork, you'll be able to walk to the car just outside the main airport entrance.

Torquay UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire at Dublin Airport

Thanks for your help - it sounds l ike it's a quick walk down to where the cars are parked. That's fine because we are limited in our time in Dublin.

A few words of defense of Ryanair - we travel over about 15 times per year from Bristol - either to Dublin or more recently Shannon. On two occasions we have been stuck because of fog at Bristol, but otherwise all our fights have been fine. We have also travelled to Spain and Italy with them with no problems. When things go well they are great - when things go wrong you are on your own. Also I agree that they have loads of add ons to their base price but I do my best to keep them to a minimum. Their new baggage policy suits me fine because we now have a extra 20 minutes to get to Bristol because we can do our check in on-line. Having said that I am sure there is a catch with my £1 car rental - maybe like car £1 but tyres £50. I will report back!

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
223 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire at Dublin Airport

64waterville, please do :)