We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

chicago, il
Level Contributor
151 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

Hello All,

As most people here, I am looking for "The Perfect Hotel" in Dublin for me and my wife. It is a "no kids" weekend so I would like to book something really nice for us. Here are some criteria - Preferabley not a chain hotel, 4 star if possible, close to the town center and/or restaurant and pub scene, lots of charm with local flair, cost not an issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

Hi thertzler1

Your perfect and mine may be different, added to that as a local I haven't actually stayed in any of these...but just thinking of a break away with no kids and the following hotels would appeal to me :-)

The Merrion

The Westbury

The Shelbourne

The Fitzwilliam

All of which are actually 5 star, but you did say price not a factor and you may be able to pick up a good deal depending on when you are travelling.

Brooks Hotel also tends to get favourable mentions on this forum and if you have been following another thread, The Gibson which would be a tram or taxi ride away from the centre, also seems good.

Hth.

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Hotel
Brooks Hotel
101 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Libertyville...
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

I've stayed at the Westbury - fine hotel, great central location.

Cork
Level Contributor
149 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

The Shelbourne

The Clarence Hotel

The Westbury

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

The Shelbourne. No contest!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

I agree. If it was me and money was not an issue, I would opt for the Shelbourne.

It fits all of your criteria, except that it's a 5 star(which is a bonus really:-))

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

IMO, the Shelbourne is not in the same league as The Merrion. This is also reflected in the Dublin Hotel Rankings on Tripadvisor. IME, it is rare for hotels at the upper end of the market to feature as "numero uno" choices amongst hotel-goers. Whereas the Merrion, although it is pricier than many Dublin hotels, is ranked by hundreds of Tripadvisor reviewers as the number one hotel in Dublin. The Shelbourne, on the other hands, is ranked in a much lower place in the Tripadvisor rankings. Although the rankings are by no means conclusive, they at least provide a pointer as regards the respective merits of both the Shelbourne and the Merrion.

7. Re: The Perfect Hotel - Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 10:18