We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

My husband and I were thinking about traveling to Ireland in February, probably Feb 14-20, 2013.

I wanted to know if it is worth traveling to Ireland in February weather wise?

We were thinking of flying into Dublin and staying there, but doing day trips.

Are there any "must-see's" while there?

We travel a lot, but mostly enjoy walking around pretty towns with shops and cozy pubs/places to eat. I also want to see at least one Castle.

Will sightseeing places be open that time of the year?

This will most likely be our one and only trip to Ireland...atleast for the next 25 years, so we want to make the most of it.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

My responses are below prefixed by @@@@

I wanted to know if it is worth traveling to Ireland in February weather wise?

@@@@ Feb can be an ok month here. Not my most favourite, but if that'st the month you have to travel here, then do it. Have a look at this link, it describes in detail what weather was like last Feb, and will give you an idea what to expect. www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/feb12.pdf

We were thinking of flying into Dublin and staying there, but doing day trips.

@@@@ Yes, that is a great idea if you are not going to hire a car. There are loads of bus/train day travel options from Dublin. Be aware that doing it by bus is much cheaper than train and the journey is not necessarily any longer. Also be aware that you can get cheaper train tickets by purchasing them online at www.irishrail.ie

Are there any "must-see's" while there?

@@@@ Thats a very general question, it all depends on your interests. This site is a good starting point, but there are many more www.heritageireland.ie The site will give you an idea of some of the main visitor attractions that you can look forward to.

Here is a very interesting post which will also give you some great ideas for 'must sees' tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k282055…

We travel a lot, but mostly enjoy walking around pretty towns with shops and cozy pubs/places to eat. I also want to see at least one Castle.

@@@@ This can easily be done from your Dublin city base. Have a look at previous website for some initial info.

Will sightseeing places be open that time of the year?

@@@@ The Official tourist season "officially" commences about mid March, however this is not set in stone and you will find that in late February all major visitor attractions will be open. You may find that some B&B's/Guest Houses might not be, but all major hotels will be.

This will most likely be our one and only trip to Ireland...atleast for the next 25 years, so we want to make the most of it.

@@@@ If you want to make the most of it in 7 days (ish). I recommend that you put together a fairly tight itiinerary. It should list what you will be doing every day during your trip, but also allow you to be flexible. I will post a few questions for you in a few minutes that will help you to get started.

You have plenty of time to get yourself organised and to put a good itinerary together. You will not have any trouble getting accommodation in Dublin in late Feb. You should be seriously looking at booking these sometime in mid December, so that you will have a good choice availalble to you.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 08:09
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

Below are some questions that will help you to plan. Some of the questions have already been answered by you in your initial post and some may not apply to you. If that is the case, just ignore them.

[1] Where will I fly into / out of?

(This will determine where you can easily visit. It also dictates what your route should be)

[2] What month will I be in Ireland?

(June, July and August are peak visitor months. Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. have least daylight hours, but are great from the point of view that they are less busy. Many B&B’s close for the winter)

[3] Will I hire a car?

(This will determine what you can visit and how independent you will be)

[4] Are there any places that I must see?

(This might make your itinerary more complicated)

[5] How many actual tour days do I have? (excluding arrival and departure days)

(It’s best you don’t include arrival and departure dates in your itinerary especially if you have made a long journey. Arrival and departure days are usually ‘non days’ as most of your time is spent, packing and checking in at airport/ferry)

[6] What are my main interests? (eating, drinking, shopping, walking, history, geography, outdoor)

(Some parts of the country are particularly good for certain activities)

[7] What kind of accommodation will I stay in (Hostel, B&B, Guesthouse, Hotel)

(Hostels are cheapest while 4 and 5 star hotels are the most expensive. Where you stay depends on your budget. Sometimes you do not have a choice)

[8] How many are in the group?

(This will impact your transport options, and lead to arguments if the itinerary does not appeal to everyone)

[9] Will there be children travelling with me?

(With kids travelling with you, you will have to be more flexible about what you include in your itinerary)

[10] How energietic am I? (Can I do a lot of walking or prefer motorised transport)

(If you are an energetic person you will find that walking is a wonderful way to see Ireland properly. Some sights require that you get out of the car and walk)

[11] Do I like to visit cities or prefer more rural locations?

(If you do not like cities, then consider excluding the large Irish cities from your itinerary. These include, Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Belfast, Galway, etc)

[12] Do I want to include shopping as part of my holiday?

(If you want to really shop, then you should include a major city or two on your itinerary)

[13] Do I want to visit the main tourist sights, or go ‘off track’?

(Because of the size of this county the main tourist sights are very busy in the summer months. Be aware in low season that these same sights might be closed)

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

if this is your one big trip is there any way it can be a little later in the year than February? even March is better than February, every week you could put if off would see more daylight hours and the chance (only a chance) of better weather. But if it has to be February, then go for it. And take notice of anything Bryno advises!!!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

Gosh Bryno. Where do you get the energy from?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

fuchiagirl - thanks very much for that vote of confidence and DITTO right back at you.

I had written a much longer response earlier, but alas my laptop hung and I lost it. Essentially it was to agree that March would be better from the point of view of Daylight hours and possibly milder weather.

Boxthefox, when I have the energy I certainly make the most of it. There are days that I would wish for a lot more !!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH you two, what a huge help.

I was reading some reviews to not go in feb, but we found really cheap airfair in february, plus I have some paid days off, so that's really our best option to make this a somewhat less expensive trip.

I can not thank you enough for taking time to respond.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

You are welcome. Keep the questions coming.

Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

Winter days are a part of what it means to experience Ireland – and many areas of the country gleam a raw, natural beauty that can only be appreciated in the cold winter light! No matter the weather, your trip to Ireland is sure to be full of surprises and unforgettable experiences. Consider also that 2013 is the Gathering year in Ireland: a lot of events/festivals are planned all year around, you will not have the chance to get bored!

Day-trips from Dublin are a good option if you don't feel like renting a car. In our top 3, we would definitely list: Belfast and Derry (City of Culture 2013), Glendalough in Co. Wicklow and a visit to the Kilkenny Castle. Happy planning! ;)

P.S. While in Dublin, on St. Valentine's Day, don't forget to see the remains of St Valentine himself in Dublin’s Whitefriar Street Church!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Syracuse, New York...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

Hi. I have been to Ireland the last three Februarys and am planning on going again this year. I have been to most parts of the country and have had a pleasurable experience on all trips. I even find the beaches pleasant on sunny days (although I wouldn’t recommend swimming!) Last February we even climbed Croagh Patrick. I travel in February for the lower airfare, sights being less crowded, and don’t mind cool or chilly weather. I would suggest planning the next day activity the day before and start early as you do have less daylight at that time of year. As for day trips I would recommend Glendalough for sure. As you didn’t say if you were driving or not did you look into taking the train or a bus to overnight outside of Dublin?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with Ireland Trip in February 2013

Dress warm - that way you'll be pleasantly surprised how mild our Winters can be!

If you enjoy taking photos our winter piercing sun will give high definition.

All sightseeing attractions will be open.

Watch for the rugby weekends in Dublin - accommodation gets booked fast and prices rise in some accommodations.

Basing yourself in Dublin does give you the best chance of taking (full) day trips to all counties. Our central bus station is called Busaras and is opposite Connolly Train station (serving northern counties) Dublin's other Train station is called Heuston Station (serving western and southern counties)

If renting a car there is a ring road that takes you away from Dublin City Centre traffic called the M50 (southbound and northbound - it's simple)

Depending on your arrival time and energy levels I would recommend at least three full days for Dublin and coastal area alone.

Happy to advise more (Dublin info) if needed.

Alan Fanning (Dublin Visitors)

Edited: 11 November 2012, 10:09
Mentioned in this post
Busaras
Busaras
120 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland