We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dawn in Dublin

Arkansas
6 posts
Save Topic
Dawn in Dublin

I'm arriving before 6am on a Wednesday. I was hoping to run into the city center before traveling to Westmeath. Is anything open that early? Breakfast somewhere? Anything? Or should I jump in my rental and head to New Grange or Tara? I was thinking about taking the bus into downtown, but I don't know if they run that early. Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dawn in Dublin

The 747 buses start running at 6am into the city. Air Coach runs 24 hours. You could take the bus in and have a stroll around, cafes will start opening up at 7 or so and you could get breakfast in plenty of places from 8. What time are you heading to Westmeath at? It really depends what you want to do in the city centre

Arkansas
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dawn in Dublin

I thought of going to jameson and buying a bottle of the distillers reserve, Walk through Trinity's campus (that may be first), I may stop by Kevin and Howlin and then head out for the west or should I say "Out Central". I want to get to Athlone before it gets dark, get the car parked and checked in my hotel. Then it will be time for a pint! The next day I will head to Rostrevor (Co. Down) I might stop in Mulingar for the pewter works but have no reall agenda for that day. All suggestions are welcome!

All the best.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dawn in Dublin

What time of year will you be traveling? Perhaps breakfast at the airport before you pick up your rental and then head towards where you wish to go. The amount of time you will spend getting in and out of the city would probably be better spent getting your self some where in your rental. Also the later you start to leave Dublin with the rental the slower the process becomes, unless you are heading north.

Arkansas
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dawn in Dublin

December 6th (Thursday not Wednesday) is the arrival date. So it will be cold. I've just about come to the same conclusion. I may just hit the road from the airport. There are so many things to see and never enough time to see them all!

All the best.

5. Re: Dawn in Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 04:35
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dawn in Dublin

Sunrise will be around 8am, and sunset around 4pm. I say 'around' because if the weather is poor, which is quite likely, it can be hard to know when the sun has risen and when it has set!

I agree it is hardly worth going into Dublin, but Newgrange (and any other attractions) will not be open until 9 or 9.30 (hard to tell from the website). Heading off from Dublin airport in the dark, and possibly poor weather, on the 'wrong' side of the road in an unfamiliar car might not be the best idea either. On the other hand you will just about beat the morning rush if you go as soon as you get your car. It depends really on how comfortable you are with driving here, and what your plans for the day are.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dawn in Dublin

If the sky is clear, head out to the Vico Road in Dalkey and watch the sunrise on Whiterock Beach

http://ghoughton.com/?p=1048

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dawn in Dublin

I'm guessing that ASH has long since come and gone as the OP was from November last year and their travel date was Dec 6th. The thread was only up again due to reply 5 which has been removed.

Arkansas
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dawn in Dublin

Yes. Had a great time. Landed, grabbed my car and got out of Dublin before traffic became too crazy. Drove through Meath and Westmeath. Stopping often to look around. Finally arrived in Athlone, in the afternoon. I was in Ireland a week -- had a great time. Never made it into Dublin. All the advise was appreciated

Ash

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dawn in Dublin

Don't keep it all to yourself. Write a few reviews for the next person.