We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

Hey peeps!

Looking for some info please? Myself, husband & my parents are looking to book a wknd to Dublin in the spring. We're looking for a central hotel or one that's within walking distance.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Debbie

East Coast
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

Three of us, probably the age of your parents, recently had a very good experience at the Maldron Hotel Parnell Square. We walked all over Dublin for two days/nights. It was a great location and as unaccompanied women we felt safe. The hotel staff was amazing and the accommodations were perfect.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

Just checked out the Maldron, it looks lovely.

We're looking to discover as much by foot as possible. We're only going Friday - Sunday so don't really fancy having to plan on public transport.

Our flight to Dublin is early Friday morning then we leave Sunday afternoon so hoping to get loads of exploring done. I'm sure my husband & father are hoping to see the inside of a few bars too ;)

Do you happen to know the best way to get from the airport to the hotel?

Thanks x

Canada
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

Aircoach or Airlink buses.

East Coast
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

Regarding transport to/from the airport~we took a taxi both ways. The fare was approximately 25€ each way. We had quite a bit of luggage which was handled by the drivers. The day we left, the hotel receptionist called a taxi based on our earlier request-it was waiting at the door when we walked out. It was more convenient than walking to the nearest bus stop (O'Connell ST). For four people it may be cheaper and certainly more convenient.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,755 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

The Maldron is indeed a well run hotel. But most of the popular pubs and attractions are on the other side of the river.

Depending on budget you could try the Drury court, the Travelodge Mercer Street or Buswells.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

I agree with lordkimmage's advice on choice of location. This map of Dublin City Centre will give you an idea of the layout of the place.

Buswell's or The O'Callaghan Hotels, for example, are close to Merrion Square (Point of Interest #46) south of the River Liffey and The Maldron is close to Parnell Square (Point of Interest 44), north of the river.

Art Galleries, Museums, Grafton St, St Stephen's Green - all on your doorstep for the hotels in the Merrion Square area.

http://www.guidetodublin.com/map.shtml

This will give you a start on the pub front:

independent.ie/travel/inside-ireland/take-10…

Not all of these are in the centre:

ytravelblog.com/10-best-dublin-pubs-and-bars/

guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/aug/06/dublin.bars

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

I'm planning a trip myself, and we've booked for the Trinity Capital Hotel. Our travel agent suggested it, and we're quite happy with the choice. It looks very nice, right next to Trinity College, and looks like a very walkable distance to the Temple Bar area. But I can only recommend based on what people have told me; check it out!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

I stayed at Trinity Capital. Great location and if you can afford the upgrade exec rooms- take them.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

The Maldron Parnell Square is great , I would recommend 100% and I have stayed several times, but given the short time you will spend in Dublin I would have to agree with other posters that a hotel South of the river would spare you a bit of walking time.

That said, there are some great deals at the Maldron, and the savings might pay for taxi fares to the main attractions?

The hotels mentioned by Uasal are better in terms of easy access to the main "sites" but the difference in walking time is maybe 10 - 15 minutes, which is not that much - so it depends on relative costs.

Ultimately it comes down to your budget - if you can get a decent South side hotel for a price comparable to the Maldron it's probably worth going for, but if not the Maldron is a great choice. It's close enough to the airport bus stops, but for 4 of you a taxi might be good value anyway.

I am sure you will have a great time in Dublin - enjoy!

10. Re: City centre hotel or hotel within walking distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 18:19